Axle Casings

black bear

Has anyone replaced the axle tubes between the diff and flanges?

The reason I ask is that after knocking all the rust scale off the rear axle (disco 1, 1990) to weld on new brackets. the tube wall has become very thin and easily holed with the welder :o

I work in an engineering shop and have access to various tube sizes. Is job as simple as cutting off diff and flanges and welding in new tube (same size or thicker wall) to original length and orientaion, provided there is enough clearance for half shafts?

I'm replacing all the brackets anyway.

Regards

Dave

I very much doubt most people would consider it worthwhile because the easiest option is to pick up a decent second hand axle casing and swap the bits over, and it probably wouldn't be very expensive.

No reason it couldn't be done (I think Hybrid_from_Hell on here tubed an axle case of his to provide extra strength) but I can't remember it being discussed on here. Now there will be a flood of people saying "Oh yes I did that" just to prove me wrong :)