white smoke mystery

Discovan300tdi

I ve got a mystery smoke problem on my 300 tdi disco

yesterday I finally got round to connecting up my snorkel, to the 300 tdi airbox rather than the 200 tdi one I had been using .

anyway with the 300 tdi airbox, fitted with a new filter when it starts at tickover there is clouds of white smoke that stay untill 2000 rpm then it clears, , when the 200tdi one was fitted it didnt produce white smoke like that the only smoke was the puff of black on start up and another when the turbo kicked in

so Ive gone back to using the 200 tdi air box and connection to my snorkel and the smoke problem has gone. Thought it could of been the head gasket but the water level is fine as I changed the rad recently and renewed the anti freeze and there is no pressure when you take the expansion tank cap off

Anyone got any ideas what it was ??? as its a complete mystery to me

Sounds like not enough air through the 300 filter until the turbo spools up. Have you tried it with just the 300 airbox without the filter?

This could cause an increase in fuel:air ratio as rich mentions but unless you have touched your timing and things return to normal with the 200 box i would say that......

My first thought is incorrect filter or something restricting airflow through box.

Does it do it with just the 300 air box and filter fitted without the snorkel?

Pete