Sankey Trailer - Wiring

Matt Neale

I recently added an 3/4 tonne sankey to my fleet.... :D

Now, as I have a 110 CSW with civilian trailer sockets, I thought I'd rewire the Sankey with a civvy spec (12N) plug.

The problem was that when I exposed the wiring on the Sankey, I soon spotted that all the wiring within the loom was yellow (sharp, eh?) - no colour coding.

No problem, I thought - a quick search on a couple of the forums and I'll have the details....

Hmmm....

I found a couple of posts which explained that wiring loom was identified using a letter code - A through to N, and listed the function (indicator / stoplights etc)

Great!

So I go back and check the loom on my trailer...

...And find that all the wiring is numbered - not lettered. :huh:

I've now stripped everything back, and (although obvious when you think about it....) can confirm the following:-

• [Pin A] = wire #1 = Convoy = not used on 12N
    [Pin B] = wire #2 = Stop = Pin 6 / Red
    [Pin C] = wire #3 = Convoy = not used on 12N
    [Pin D] = wire #4 = Earth = Pin 3 / White
    [Pin E] = wire #5 = Tail = Pin 5 (RH Tail/Brown) & Pin 7 (LH Tail / Black)
    [Pin F] = wire #6 = Fog = Pin 2 / Blue
    [Pin H] = wire #7 = Convoy = Not used on 12N
    [Pin J] = wire #8 = Stop = Pin 6 / Red
    [Pin K] = wire #9 = Aux = Not used on 12N
    [Pin L] = wire #10 = Earth = Pin 3 / White
    [Pin M] = wire #11 = LH Indicator = Pin 1 / Yellow
    [Pin N] = wire #12 = RH Indicator = Pin 4 / Green

Hopefully this should save a bit of time for someone else who, like me, has a sankey and wishes to convert it to civilian spec electrics.

Matt

Matt, that is very, very useful (it is on my lists to-do!) Brilliant!

May I also add that the law changed a (good) while ago and older sankey trailers may need a little adjustment regards to lighting and brakes.

Trailers must have on the back two red sidelights, two red stop lamps, an illuminated number plate and two triangular red reflectors plus amber indicators designed to flash between 60 and 120 times per minute. If they are more than 1.3m wide, they must also have at least one red fog lamp. All trailers built after Sept 30th 1990 require front reflectors. They must have front reflectors and, if they are more than 1.6 metres wide, front position lights.

Requirements:

( A ) If, in the case of direction indicators, it is not possible to meet the maximum height requirements, this dimension can be increased to 2300mm.

( B ) If, in the case of the rear position (tail) lamps and stop lamps, it is not possible to meet the maximum height requirements, this dimension can be increased to 2100mm.

( C ) On trailers manufactured after 1 October 1985, the maximum height of the red triangular reflectors can be increased to 1200mm if necessary.

( D ) Trailers manufactured after 1 October 1985 require numberplates, illuminated by an 'E' or 'e' marked lamp. If a clear window in the rear position lamp is approved, this can be used instead of a separate numberplate lamp but must be fitted to the manufacturer's instructions with regard to distance from the numberplate.

( E ) At least one rear fog light is mandatory on trailers over 1.3 m wide. Two lamps are preferred but, if only one is fitted, it must be to the offside or on the centre line of the trailer.

( F ) No maximum distance from the outer edge of the trailer is stated for a fog lamp(s) but there must be a minimum distance of 100mm from the stop lamp.

( G ) The distance of the direction indicator from the side of the trailer may not exceed the actual distance of the rear lamp by more than 50mm.

( H ) Trailers manufactured after 1 October 1985 which are more than 1600mm wide, (except boat trailers) require front position lamps (clear lens).

Brake Requirements

( A ) Braked trailers manufactured pre Oct. 1982 may be fitted with a spring damped coupling as a replacement item.

( B ) Braked trailers manufactured after Oct. 1982 must be fitted with a coupling that incorporates a hydraulic damper.

( C ) Braked trailers manufactured after Oct. 1982 require brakes that comply with EC Directives. If brakes are required, all wheels must be braked. (if manufactured in or after 1968)

( D ) Any braked trailers manufactured after April 1989 must be fitted with a hydraulically damped coupling and auto reverse brakes to give braking efficiencies required by EEC Directive 71/320 (ECE13).

( E ) The size of the ball coupling on braked and unbraked trailers must be 50mm to ISO and BSI Standards. The use of old 2-inch unit is not recommended.

( F ) Unbraked trailers manufactured after 1 Jan 1997 must be fitted with a secondary coupling that will provide some residual steering in the event of an unplanned uncoupling. This device should also prevent the ball coupling hitting the ground in similar circumstances. It must be connected to the towing vehicle when the trailer is being towed.

( G ) Braked trailers must be fitted with a parking brake that operates on at least two road wheels on the same axle. At all times it must be capable of being maintained in operation by direct mechanical action without the use of hydraulic, electric or pneumatic systems – i.e. Operated by rod or cable action. The efficiency of the handbrake must also comply with EEC Directive 71/320/EEC; i.e. It must be capable of holding a stationary trailer on a gradient of at least 16% (1 in 6.25)

( H ) An emergency breakaway cable must be fitted to the parking brake linkage and the other end clipped or fixed round some fixture on the towing vehicle so that, in the event of the trailer becoming detached from the towing vehicle, the cable will apply the parking brake automatically, before snapping itself. It is not recommended to loop the cable round the towball. (But do so if there is no alternative attachment point.) It is a separate offence not to use the breakaway cable provided.

( I ) A secondary coupling as per ( F ) must be fitted to a braked trailer manufactured before 1982 that has a manual handbrake arrangement . (A secondary coupling can also be fitted to a braked trailer with hydraulic damping, manufactured after 1982. In such cases, great care should be taken to ensure that the secondary coupling is appropriate in terms of the weight of the trailer (esp. If it is over 1000kg.). Also the operation of the breakaway cable is likely to be prejudiced.)

This from the DOT

Phew! :blink:

Matt, that is very, very useful (it is on my lists to-do!) Brilliant!

May I also add that the law changed a (good) while ago and older sankey trailers may need a little adjustment regards to lighting and brakes.

Yep - I'm getting there with mine - already fitted a breakaway coupling anyway. Still working on the lighting setup though, as the original military loom has a couple of junction boxes in it front and rear which are causing some headaches what with poor / intermittant connections.... ah well, 'tis all sent to try us ;)

Matt