Difflock trouble

J@mes

Having used the Difflock on my disco to get me out of a snowy forest track yesterday, the light wouldn't go out when I took it out.

I tried reversing, banging the difflock lever in and out and driving normally, none of which have changed it.

The light was on all the way to work this morning (18 miles) but the missus has just phoned to say she pulled out of a parking space (full lock to the right) and there was a massive "bang" and now the light has gone out. I told her to carry on driving as she reported no further strange bangs, clunks or grinding noises.

Can I assume then that it was stuck in difflock and has just released itself?

Why does it stick like this? surely if the lever is over in the unlocked position, the difflock cant still be in?

thanks for any advice!

James

i would say its now out.

yes it does stay in if the light is on its still in.

i dare say there was a bit of windup from your trip yesterday.

best way to get it out is get one wheel onto a limited traction surface, verges can help (obviously dont destroy the environment), or try reversing again on a loose surface is best or you can always take the weight off one wheel (ie jack it up) to release the tension.

Usual way is to reverse a bit in future think before you engage it you dont need it all the time only when you think you'll lose traction, snowy tracks would be ok with out it same as a hardpacked lane but if you cam across a muddy hollow slip in the diff lock but take it out once your clear

When my dad had the disco i got now it done the same as yours then it got really bad going along straight then it would just go bang nd try to all lock as if sumit was getting jamed .

it where he keep reving the the hell out of it in difflock when he was stuck .

Sounds the same as how ours started .

Jay.