V8 (serp' 3.9) thermostat in the oil cooler lines?

Steve 90

Trying to fit a V8 with a serpentine front end (out of a 3.9 1997 disco) into my challenge truck and due to a whole heap of factors I have clearance issues with the oil filter and axle (yes, sounds familiar as I had the same trouble with the 4.2) I don't even think there is going to be room for a remote filter take off plate and cap where the oil filter would usually be fitted. So I was wondering, if I fit a cap to the housing where the filter should sit, could use the oil cooler lines (which are tapped straight into the front cover on the serp) to plumb in the remote filter?? or do they have some sort of temp thermostat to stop flow when the engine is getting up to temp?? If there is a thermostat has anyone ever looked into the possibility of removing one to use these pipes for a remote filter??

Cheers.

Steve.

The take off for my remote oil filter on my 4.6 doesn't have any thermostat installed. It's just free flow to the oil filter.

I know you can get the thermostat plate for it to direct oil round an oil cooler if needed, but not required that so far...

Neil

Its the other way round, The motor I have doesnt have a take off plate, The take off's for the cooler are built into the front cover. I was wondering if these had any sort of thermostat in them and would I be able to use these for the remote filter and just fit a blanking cap where the filter should be. I dont have room for a take off plate plus blanking cap.

Cheers.

Steve.

Ive just heard that Tomcat might do a conversion where they weld up the oil filter holes, Cut off the main of the filter fitting lump and then fit bosses to the side of the front cover to plumb in the remote filter. Anyone had any experience of this? Or better still a photo???

Cheers.

Steve.