Half Shaft Virgin

stuck

Sorry that I'm asking a lot of questions at the moment but if I don't ask I wont know :ph34r:

Just finished fitting a 3" lift and 35" Creepys to my auto and after reading all the threads I'd like to know a little more about busting half shafts (before it happens!)

As I understand it this is less likley to happen with an auto box but assuming it's still possible to snap a shaft how will I know it's happened?

If you break a shaft do you loose all drive or just on one axle?

If you loose all drive can you limp home in diff lock?

Once again sorry for all the questions but I'd rather be prepared!

Thanks,

Mick.

With open diffs you will loose all drive. With the centre diff locked you can limp home but gently as the front axle wont like seeing all the engine power.

When the shaft breaks you will know......

Equip yourself with one of these too as with those tyres you're going to need it very soon!! Oh, and always carry some spare shafts!!

No problem,

My 3" lift has been purely done with suspension as I didn't fancy tackling a body lift, in short this means:

+3" HD springs

Long travel shocks

Castor correction arms

Poly bushes (whilst I was there)

Dislocation cones

Extended brake flexis

+75mm wheel arches and a hour with a grinder.

I then found that the front prop fouled the anti roll bar, thanks to advice given in this forum I've now removed this.

Next on the shopping list will be new prop shafts as the joints look like they are under too much load from the increase in angle.

One bit of advice if I may, before tackling this job ensure you have a bloody big trolley jack and some good axle stands, you WILL need them.

HTH's

Mick.