RRC Reverse Lights

stuck

Hi all,

Since buying my '88 3.5 Efi auto I wondered why I had no reverse lights, wasn't top of my list but at the weekend I got around to whipping the lens covers off to find that the lamps had been removed.

Reason this has been done is that there is a permanent 12V at the lamp holder, I'm assuming there is some kind of (proximity?) switch somewhere on the box, my Haynes is a bit vague on this subject but I think I have to take out the trany tunnel to get at it, is this correct?

If so how big a job is it and can anybody give me a part number for the switch before I pull it apart?

Mant thanks,

Mick.

Hi all,

Since buying my '88 3.5 Efi auto I wondered why I had no reverse lights, wasn't top of my list but at the weekend I got around to whipping the lens covers off to find that the lamps had been removed.

Reason this has been done is that there is a permanent 12V at the lamp holder, I'm assuming there is some kind of (proximity?) switch somewhere on the box, my Haynes is a bit vague on this subject but I think I have to take out the trany tunnel to get at it, is this correct?

If so how big a job is it and can anybody give me a part number for the switch before I pull it apart?

Mant thanks,

Mick.

The tunnel is not removable on my 87 RRC. I think you have to work up the side of the box from below.

The switch is both reverse and start inhibit and on mine is RTC4937. If you Google that part number you will see what it looks like.

At about £60 you may decide not to bother with reverse lights.

Steve

Ah, right it's a mucky job then :P

Cheers for that.

i've got an 87 efi and mine dont work at all,and there is no removable plate in the tunnel like it says in the haynes manual,i have been under the car a few times now but cant bring myself to start the job of checking/replacing the switch,cause their is so much carp and oil their.

do you need em for the mot ????????

Not tried to do it but looking at the parts catalogue the switch lives just above the joint between main case and sump so only about half way up the box. It also appears to be held in place with a plate and one fixing.

Steve

Not tried to do it but looking at the parts catalogue the switch lives just above the joint between main case and sump so only about half way up the box. It also appears to be held in place with a plate and one fixing.

Steve

Yep I agree, you should be able to get at the Switch from underneath, might be tricky getting enough clearance to get a screwdriver in there to undo it though and if my memory serves me correctly the cable runs over the top of the gearbox and the Connector is clamped down on the top somewhere.

If you're lucky you might be able to pull the switch out far enough to clean it up & free it off in situ.

Colin.

On the 1987 RRCs at home ther bulk of the transmission tunnel is welded, but on the top around the gear sticks there is a pop rivited in section. With this removed you get some access to the gearbox from above, but not much (enough to get an arm through) and you have to remove quite a bit of trim to get to it.