Battery/charging issues

Boro

Vehicle is a 1995 300 tdi, went to go to work this morning and the battery was dead, popped the bonnet and battery wet and when i checked the voltage it was right down (under 7 volts) was fine when i drove home last night, anyway borrowed a car and went to work, left early and picked up a new battery, got home and fitted the new battery and started the landrover up, then noticed a funny smell from under the bonnet, an eggy smell so i stuck the multimeter on the battery and it was being overcharged (was charging at just under 18 volts :blink: ) that would explain why the old one was wet this morning then :lol: the battery was also fizzing, naturally switched the landrover straight off, had run for maybe 30 seconds a minute tops so im hoping the new battery will survive, im guessing that the voltage regulator has had it, assume its part of the alternator on these? are they available separately or will i be forced into buying a complete alternator just that the alternator was replaced not long before i bought the landy (year or so ago)

You can buy the parts seperatly, but it's not always cost effective. I had an issue not so long back where I had to replace my alternator..it stopped charging rather then over charged. The problem was, it could have been one of several parts that needed replacing, and there was a fair amount involved that I was not willing to take on, so in the end I opted for a whole new replacement....

There's a place in Plymouth I used, who was the cheapest place I could find for a genuine replacement, and that included his delivery charge to Hull..if your interested, PM me and I'll send you the details of the place.

Having thought about it and talked to a mate i have concluded that yes a new alternator is a better bet rather than buying parts for this one, kevin i would be interested to know the details of this place in plymouth if you can let me have them as its not too far from here (hours drive) cheers