Alternator replacement/differences

Boro

My alternator developed a fault last week and as a result was overcharging and killed the battery, new battery bought and new alternator ordered, alternator has arrived, ordered a YLE 101113G denso unit from island 4x4 as this was what was listed for 94-96 300 tdi (mines a 1995) they have supplied me with an AMR5425 denso unit which i believe replaces the previous, now heres where the fun begins, the alternator on my vehicle was a lucas LRB207 unit (so theres no confusion all units are 100 amp), the new unit has 4 bolts at the back which would secure the heat shield, only the previous alternator had 3 bolts, it doesnt come with the nut/stud stand offs that you mount the heatshield on and i cant use the ones from the old alternator as they are different sizes (think old are m6 and new are m4), ok so i can run it without the heat shield for now but i want to get that sorted so where do i go for these bits? as a result i cannot mount the radio suppression unit where it should go, have attached it under one of the 4 nuts for now, the old unit had a 65mm approx pulley whilst the new unit has a 52mm approx pulley, assume i will need to swap the pulleys over? i dont have a 24mm ring spanner or open ended socket so will have to see if i can buy something suitable, anyway please tell me im right in fiddling to get this to fit, it mounts up fine and has the correct number of terminals just the above really

Did you check if the pulley on the new alternator is the same diameter with the pulley on the old one? If they're not, you need to exchange the pulleys (the old fitted to the new one) or replace the serpentine belt with the other version (ERR5911).

AMR5425 is for 97-98 Discovery. For 94-96 Discos the part# is AMR4248.

YLE10113 is more like a one size fits all but actually it fits nothing :) It can be fixed to fit though.

Can't advise on the heat shield thingy as I have a '98 Discovery.

Did you check if the pulley on the new alternator is the same diameter with the pulley on the old one? If they're not, you need to exchange the pulleys (the old fitted to the new one) or replace the serpentine belt with the other version (ERR5911).

AMR5425 is for 97-98 Discovery. For 94-96 Discos the part# is AMR4248.

YLE10113 is more like a one size fits all but actually it fits nothing :) It can be fixed to fit though.

Can't advise on the heat shield thingy as I have a '98 Discovery.

The pulleys wont be the same diameter, measuring across the pulley (including the lip) the old pulley is 65mm ish and the new 52mm ish or did you mean the width of the pulley where the belt sits, forgive my ignorance but how would fitting an ERR5911 belt change the fact that the pulleys have a different diameter and of course as a result circumference :huh: funnily enough this alternator came provided with an ERR5911 belt but i wasnt going to fit it as its britpart :lol: , just twigged the belt provided will be smaller due to the smaller pulley but will still mean that the alternator is spinning at a different speed to the old one as a result of the pulley, so safe to just fit the alternator as is with the pulley then :) doh!

Going to have a rummage in the garage as i think i have some velcro fastening heat shield for lambda sensor cables that i could make use of for now, either that or cable tie the heat shield on, spoken to landrover who only list 1 heat shield so obviously one isnt available for this alternator, thanks for the help guys

Going to have a rummage in the garage as i think i have some velcro fastening heat shield for lambda sensor cables that i could make use of for now, either that or cable tie the heat shield on, spoken to landrover who only list 1 heat shield so obviously one isnt available for this alternator, thanks for the help guys

When the alternator went on my 300 while I was working in Wales a couple of years ago I got a local garage to supply and fit a new one as I didnt have time. Cost an arm and leg and when i got it back I noticed the heatshield was missing, so I tried to fit the old one, which I had removed coz it had come loose and was missing a couple of nuts, it wouldnt go on. So I took it back to the garage and made grumpy noises about the new one's cost and no shield etc. The bloke was very helpful and although it hadnt come with one he rummaged around some scrapped bits, found one that fitted and horsed it on for me at no extra cost. Result. ;) Might be worth a look round your local breakers?

Dave.