Auto Trans Kickdown adjustment

steve_d

Is there a simple method of setting the kickdown cable or does it require test equipment.

1987 RRC ZF Four speed.

I now have 33" wheels and despite the car being lighter it seems to want to kick down at only about 70% throttle.

Any thoughts

Many thanks

Steve

I would incrementally adjust the kickdown cable - it has a knurled adjuster at the throttle.

My memory is carp but I think you need to lengthen the cable to delay kickdown, but a grownup will be along shortly I am sure!!

Is there a simple method of setting the kickdown cable or does it require test equipment.

1987 RRC ZF Four speed.

I now have 33" wheels and despite the car being lighter it seems to want to kick down at only about 70% throttle.

Any thoughts

Many thanks

Steve

No problem, just adjust it at the Throttle end and take it for a quick spin to see if it's to your liking. Be warned though that it is quite sensitive and if you slacken it too much you will knacker (is that technical tern allowed on these forums?) the gearbox.

Colin.

I would incrementally adjust the kickdown cable - it has a knurled adjuster at the throttle.

My memory is carp but I think you need to lengthen the cable to delay kickdown, but a grownup will be along shortly I am sure!!

You beat me too it again. I'm not sure I qualify as a grown-up but I think you want to slacken it to increase the amount of Throttle before Kickdown occurs.

There should be a crimped collar on the inner cable to stop it going back too far, If this is missing or loose then be very careful. If it goes too slack it can come off inside the box.

The Kickdown cable doesn't only operate the kickdown, It also gives the gearbox info it needs about throttle position and adjusting it can have a massive effect on the way the gearbox behaves other than the kickdown. Best way to set it up is trial and error, Just do it small amounts at a time.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
So how could it knacker the box if its too loose?

I read it somewhere. Off the top of my head I think the Kickdown mechanism directly controls the oil pressure, if the cable is far too loose I think it blows up some clutches.

I'll see if I can find the 'definitive answer', probably on the Ashcroft site somewhere.

Colin.