essex engine problems

landkeeper

Thanks Roverdrive,

Its very much a case of learning as i go with this one so thanks for the clear information. From what i can now understand the choke has been removed and fitted with a manual cable operated one. This is also disconnected. (previous owner)

My understanding (which is probably wrong) is that the only water inlet to the carb is via the choke. If i fit this it cools the carb?? Im unsure if i attached this can i just set it to cool the carb constantly and remove auto choke?? Do i need to do this at all? The more you guys input i think the carb is icing so how do i then heat the carb? Is that take a pipe from the exhaust manifolds? I dont have a clue where to start if im honest. The air filter is a bit shabby and could do with a good clean or maybe even replace also dont know if that makes a difference.

The fuel line would be 5ft roughly to the tank at front of boat. Fuel line is front of engine so not close too exhaust.

The only water supply to the carb would be the auto choke. If fitted, this would warm up as the engine warmed and in the process heat a bi-metal spring which slowly takes the choke off as the engine warms. It does not perform any sort of carb warming or cooling.

If you are running without a filter then when the engine stops or starts to falter look inside the carb throat (with a torch if required) and look for ice forming inside. If this is happening then the answer is to fit an air filter system which draws its incoming air from immediately above the exhaust manifold. The warm air should then prevent carb icing.

Steve

Thanks Roverdrive,

Its very much a case of learning as i go with this one so thanks for the clear information. From what i can now understand the choke has been removed and fitted with a manual cable operated one. This is also disconnected. (previous owner)

My understanding (which is probably wrong) is that the only water inlet to the carb is via the choke. If i fit this it cools the carb?? Im unsure if i attached this can i just set it to cool the carb constantly and remove auto choke?? Do i need to do this at all? The more you guys input i think the carb is icing so how do i then heat the carb? Is that take a pipe from the exhaust manifolds? I dont have a clue where to start if im honest. The air filter is a bit shabby and could do with a good clean or maybe even replace also dont know if that makes a difference.

The fuel line would be 5ft roughly to the tank at front of boat. Fuel line is front of engine so not close too exhaust.

As I think I said before, I reduced the icing problem on my Fiesta by fitting a 'baffle' to direct some of the hot air from the exhaust towards the Air Filter. Being a Transverse Engine this was quite easy just a flat piece of metal over the top of the exhaust.

I think the ideal temperature at the inlet is something like 34 degrees C, you may be able to rig up something like some cars have that regulate the inlet temperature, most just use a bimetal temperature sensor near the carb inlet that uses the vacuum from the engine to control a flap that varies the flow of Cold fresh air and Hot air from the exhaust. I'm sure you could raid a scrappy for an old carb inlet system.

Colin.

Stripped the carb over the weekend. Serious amount of dirt in the fuel filter on the carb. Also signs on the filter itself of bending / crinkling inwards suggesting a vacuum. Also the firing order was off. Ive ordered a fuel pressure gauge and a carb repair kit (gaskets etc) so when i put it all back together we should be bisto or at least i should be able to spot a drop in fuel pressure. Might then consider an electronic fuel pump or a regulator but will tackle that if it arises.

Thanks for all the replies. Its a learning curve that i've really enjoyed. I'll let you know how it goes.

cheers

gavin

IIRC the filter is slightly compressed by the brass nut when fitted, so they always look a little bit squashed.

Good luck!

Stripped the carb over the weekend. Serious amount of dirt in the fuel filter on the carb. Also signs on the filter itself of bending / crinkling inwards suggesting a vacuum. Also the firing order was off. Ive ordered a fuel pressure gauge and a carb repair kit (gaskets etc) so when i put it all back together we should be bisto or at least i should be able to spot a drop in fuel pressure. Might then consider an electronic fuel pump or a regulator but will tackle that if it arises.

Thanks for all the replies. Its a learning curve that i've really enjoyed. I'll let you know how it goes.

cheers

gavin

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers to all the replies.

I got a chance to hit the lake over the weekend. After new fuel lines. New fuel pump, cleaned carb & new K&N filter and fitted a heat resistant spacer under the carb and manifold... she went like a rocket!!! Im really pleased with it. So thanks to you all who replied with your helpful advice.

Looks like its gonna be a fun summer!!