Low range/DiffLock

Griffin

I have paranoia about my transfer case.......last owner has hardly ever engaged it(1998 Disco 1) Today i tried it for the first time and im not sure if the low range and difflock engage 100%.

Just to see if i got it right(got auto on mine)

Put the main gearbox into N

Then transferlever into N with one movement, right after put it all the way up.

Put the gearlever into 1

To difflock it go to the left instead of all the way up from the N position right?

The difflock lamp does come up.

I have only tried it on the parking spot since of my paranoia. Will try it for real tomorrow.

If it doesnt go smooth into N or L put it into D inbetween righttttttt?

Yes i did read the manual. However like said paranoia........

I have paranoia about my transfer case.......last owner has hardly ever engaged it(1998 Disco 1) Today i tried it for the first time and im not sure if the low range and difflock engage 100%.

Just to see if i got it right(got auto on mine)

Put the main gearbox into N

Then transferlever into N with one movement, right after put it all the way up.

Put the gearlever into 1

To difflock it go to the left instead of all the way up from the N position right?

The difflock lamp does come up.

I have only tried it on the parking spot since of my paranoia. Will try it for real tomorrow.

If it doesnt go smooth into N or L put it into D inbetween righttttttt?

Yes i did read the manual. However like said paranoia........

Thats about it but diff lock will engage in high or low range. Dont be afraid of it, not easily broken. Just dont use diff lock if there is no chance of a wheel slipping, ie, mud,snow, gravel or you can wind up an axle.

Guest DiscoTD4

On mine I find the best technique is with a bit of forward motion, say 1-2mph, slip into N, blip throttle (optional), firm shove on the transfer lever across to H or L, blip the throttle (again optional) and then back into D. You need to make sure you get a good clunk or thud, preferably with a slight grinding of the gears - not too much, but just enough, so no ones in any doubt she means business <_<

Blipping of throttle is optional, but recommended as adds to the whole ambiance :lol:

None of that 'pressing of switches' to engage low ration or diff lock rubbish.

All part of the fun!

Cheers