Discovery I - transmission wind up - what have i done

john01473

I had to use diff lock yesterday as I was sliding around on a muddy field. I thought I put it back into low gear after leaving the field.

The yellow four-wheel drive lamp stayed on but everything felt like normal - looking at the handbook I saw this thing called

Transmission wind up - I drove forwards and reversed and the light went out.

1, have I done any damage?

2, what if I drove with the diff lock on?

3, is there a way of checking for damage

Cheers

Big John

I shouldn't worry about it - mine stayed in for 18 miles on tarmac until the missus did a tight right hander out of a parking spot where there was a massive bang and it popped out. still works fine.

stick it in difflock, jack it up and try to turn one wheel. it shouldnt move. if it does, there is a problem....

I shouldn't worry about it - mine stayed in for 18 miles on tarmac until the missus did a tight right hander out of a parking spot where there was a massive bang and it popped out. still works fine.

stick it in difflock, jack it up and try to turn one wheel. it shouldnt move. if it does, there is a problem....

thanks mate - will try what you said - is it front -or rear or either or both - sorry

i promised to try harder - ha ha

Big John

Watch out for the wheel you jack up spinning (it can be any wheel, but only one - the 'test' wont work if there's 2 off the ground), this will be the 'wind-up' releasing itself. Doesn't sound like you've damaged anything - it usually goes with a very loud bang followed by crunching noises and even though you're all the way down there, I'd prolly have heard it go and I dont remember hearing anything at the time :lol: .........

Best way to remove it is to re-engage normal high range and to reverse for about 50 yards on a hard surface. I have always done this regardless of whether the warning light is on or not ever time I have used the diff locks and never had a problem. As recommended by an old friend who used to work for Landrover.

Jules

Watch out for the wheel you jack up spinning (it can be any wheel, but only one - the 'test' wont work if there's 2 off the ground), this will be the 'wind-up' releasing itself. Doesn't sound like you've damaged anything - it usually goes with a very loud bang followed by crunching noises and even though you're all the way down there, I'd prolly have heard it go and I dont remember hearing anything at the time :lol: .........

thanks mate - will give it a go this weekend.

cheers

Big John

Best way to remove it is to re-engage normal high range and to reverse for about 50 yards on a hard surface. I have always done this regardless of whether the warning light is on or not ever time I have used the diff locks and never had a problem. As recommended by an old friend who used to work for Landrover.

Jules

will remeber to do this from now on - thanks mate

cheers

Big John