Ebay defender parts

was browsing ebay today i often look for cheap bargains.but havent for a month or so.I was shocked defender seems to have expanded in a way i have never seen before sections and sub sections for example engine components drive chain ect ect iv seen 5 engines for buy it now well under 500 QUID now these seem well cheap is it the credit crunch or is there a big surge in stolen parts i have emailed one chap asking for engine numbers still waiting for a responce mmmmm

was browsing ebay today i often look for cheap bargains.but havent for a month or so.I was shocked defender seems to have expanded in a way i have never seen before sections and sub sections for example engine components drive chain ect ect iv seen 5 engines for buy it now well under 500 QUID now these seem well cheap is it the credit crunch or is there a big surge in stolen parts i have emailed one chap asking for engine numbers still waiting for a responce mmmmm

Possibly stolen. More than likely is that you can buy an mot failure defender with a rotten chassis for say £500, breaking this will probably net you a grand, maybe more. If you have some space then you can make a nice tidy little supplement to your income. There are plenty of crooks on ebay but even more who just want to earn a bit of extra cash.

IMHO the glut of Discos that have been eaten by the tinworm mean that 200 & 300 Tdi vehicles with MOT failures are affecting prices.

Also there are less peoplle wanting to implant engines poss credit crunch or simply prices in general have fallen, so as opposed to spend money on a vehicle that needs a good amount of work doing, you can get a decent Defender for a lot less than a couple of years ago (they are holding prices better than other vehicles though...)

I Know a chap 200 yards up the road, just breaks defenders he buys them as insurance write off's from the auctions, he says insurance companies seem very keen these days to just write off vehicles that would have been repaired a few years ago because of "other costs" in the claim hire car etc. He stays clear of MOT failures as they are often more trouble than they are worth and with a crashed/stolen write off has been running on the road.

He has had to get registered as a waste handler and jump through several other hoops and red tape. However he can take a writen off defender and make between 80-110% per vehicle, and is starting to make himself a nice living. He uses e-bay as his shop window because it's cheap and has a massive audiance, but once someone buy's something they usualy just go back to hi for more.

Bit of a shame really, as there was nothing quite like spending the afternoon in a land rover graveyard finding extra bits that you never even knew you needed!! :D

But great for me as when I break something I just go and get a previously enjoyed bit from him for a fraction of the cost. we all have to recycle these days!!