kickdown.....

plank22

on ashcrofts web site they say dont drive with the kickdown cable disconnected. Which end? Is it ok to have the cable lose at the throttle linkage end? Its still connected at the box end and I havnt made a bracket for the other as of yet. (this is for my hybrid S3)

Also it was suggested to me of putting the kickdown on a seperate lever in the cab so as i dont have to worry about the hesitation you get of it changing down a gear if i were to boot it up a hill. Worth it?

My understanding is that the cable is not just giving the kickdown point but is continually changing the valving of the 'box based on throttle position.

Right or wrong I have always been told driving without the cable will damage the 'box.

Steve

on ashcrofts web site they say dont drive with the kickdown cable disconnected. Which end? Is it ok to have the cable lose at the throttle linkage end? Its still connected at the box end and I havnt made a bracket for the other as of yet. (this is for my hybrid S3)

Also it was suggested to me of putting the kickdown on a seperate lever in the cab so as i dont have to worry about the hesitation you get of it changing down a gear if i were to boot it up a hill. Worth it?

I too have read somewhere (I thought it was on Ashcrofts Site) that you should never drive with a disconnected cable because it directly controls the main pressure that works (among other things) the clutches and needs to have a certain amount of tension to avoid burning them out (I should imagine the other extreme would give very harsh changes as well). But I can't find where it was I read it to that sort of detail, the best I can find is the 'don't drive without cable connected warning'.

I discovered to my cost that the cable fitted to mine was damaged (was only hanging on by a couple of strands), I only managed to drive out of my drive & turn it around before I lost drive in reverse. After changing the cable I found it works OK on the flat but slips like mad up even the slightest incline (at the time my drive had quite a slope).

Colin.

by the sound of things a manual kickdown sounds like a very bad idea! how tite should the kickdown cable be then? i thought it only took up the tension at full throttle?

I'm not sure what the tension should be, the manual just states measurements, see the attached:

Colin.

post-12380-1237924964_thumb.jpg

ok then help please! i need to make a new linkage bracket for my kickdown as the normal bracket is no more. That was all removed because it hit the foot well an didnt mach up with the series linkage. So at what point does the throttle start moving the kickdown? does the kick down move simutainiously with the throttle or does the kickdown cable only start moving say at half throttle? Is it possible for someone to have a look at theirs and tell me please???

ok then help please! i need to make a new linkage bracket for my kickdown as the normal bracket is no more. That was all removed because it hit the foot well an didnt mach up with the series linkage. So at what point does the throttle start moving the kickdown? does the kick down move simutainiously with the throttle or does the kickdown cable only start moving say at half throttle? Is it possible for someone to have a look at theirs and tell me please???

They move together.

On mine there is a broad arm dropping down from the throttle shaft with two holes side by side at the end of it. The throttle cable attaches from one side and the kickdown from the other.

The image posted earlier shows both cables coming from the same side with the throttle cable attached to the arm above the shaft and the kickdown below the shaft.

If you are making up a new linkage then it would be easier to make it like mine as all you have to do is attach it on the other side from your throttle. Both cables have clevises at the end. If you make two plates (like the side plates of a bike chain) you could link the clevises together. You then only need a bracket for the cable adjuster.

Steve