Discovery.........rust? nooo!

Mr Alford

heres what ive done over the last 2 years of having it

Heres a quick low down on all the places i found rust

it was a suprise every time, im slowly fighting it away, some people have told me to scrap it but i love it far too much to do that but now its probably stronger than its ever been

rear cross member

re-welded then put a 5mm thick aluminium plate over the top so i can jack off it

dsc00769yq5.jpg

dsc00770mw7.jpg

dsc00772gj4.jpg

dsc00773zn5.jpg

dsc00774do2.jpg

dsc00776fi1.jpg

the passenger footwell and front arches were shagged, grind out the old in with the new

dsc00809cl0.jpg

dsc00810rj6.jpg

dsc00812id6.jpg

dsc00815ak0.jpg

dsc00816ju0.jpg

dsc00818ap2.jpg

dsc00819bq0.jpg

dsc00821qi3.jpg

right as im sure u are all aware the discovery 1 is renown for rotten boot floors and mine is no exception

i am cutting the old floor out tmrw along with all the rust that has spread and today i purchased a 1600m x 1400m 5mm thick aluminium sheet

this will make the crossmembers redundant but they are rusted so will be removed anyway but as ive gone overkill with 5mm sheet ill be fine

ill start posting pictures up tmrw wish me luck

this is what it looked like last week

bootfloordribblebx8.jpg

dsc00886cr1.jpg

dsc00887mk5.jpg

dsc00889ru9.jpg

dsc00891em9.jpg

tdays progress pics rain stopped play 30 mins ago due to a trenchal downpour

oh and i went and bought a 9 inch grinder thanks for the advice what a difference and so much more fun

dsc00377vz1.jpg

dsc00378jt3.jpg

dsc00379ff9.jpg

and finally how i finished today with the boot door lip in and the edges strengthened and my new crossmember fitted worked wonderfully

dsc00381pj3.jpg

little progress update will take pics of the finished product tmrw

dsc00390pw5.jpg

dsc00392hv3.jpg

dsc00393je2.jpg

tadaa the finished product, gonna clean up the sealant once its set properly needs a week to do that so ill do it then but its not gonna be on show so i may not well see so here ya go gonna repaint the interior again to make it look clean

dsc00397xj4.jpg

Wow!!! you are to be commended Mr Alford. Hats off for determination. This is another landy "on the road" along with the 70% or so others!! Good job, rust is a real disheartener and, like you said, everyone wanted you to scrap it.

... by the way, ... did you jack off the aluminum plate after??......... :lol:

Wow!!! you are to be commended Mr Alford. Hats off for determination. This is another landy "on the road" along with the 70% or so others!! Good job, rust is a real disheartener and, like you said, everyone wanted you to scrap it.

... by the way, ... did you jack off the aluminum plate after??......... :lol:

ye its 5mm thick so it didnt even show a sweat, tbh i enjoy welding, and the satisfaction of bringing it back is fantastic as everyone thought it was too far gone