Allmakes TD5 Fuel pump

Froggie

Here's what it says in the WS manual (I extracted only the relevant part). Note the recommendation to use a new seal.

post-1725-1238499632_thumb.jpg

I am a little confused,

point 19 says Remove and discard sealing ring. Is this the same sealing ring that in the refit section point 2 "Fit new Seal" refers to.

That's right. It's the seal between the pump and the tank, part # WGQ500020, pictured HERE < God, I love those guys for having such great pics. Never bought anything from them but I feel I need to contribute to their tea fund :)

The only problem is no one has one in stock so may have to reuse the old one !!!!

My next problem is removing the old pump, I dont have an LRT-19-009 tool and dont want to pay £200 for one. Someone mentioned taping the top of the pump with a hammer and chisel, I am presuming they mean the black cap that has some raised bits on the top of it.... why do I make things so complicated.

The only problem is no one has one in stock so may have to reuse the old one !!!!

My next problem is removing the old pump, I dont have an LRT-19-009 tool and dont want to pay £200 for one. Someone mentioned taping the top of the pump with a hammer and chisel, I am presuming they mean the black cap that has some raised bits on the top of it.... why do I make things so complicated.

thats the one... hey you like your pictures !!! and i like the prices on that site very reasonable.

Thanks again for all your help

Now my problems start, one of the pipes was solid in the pump. The pipes are secured into the pump by way of clips. There are

2 x black clips

1 x green clip

1 x blue clip

Its the green one thats the problem (but you probably did not need to know that)

The problem is that was damaged before i took it out, now it is virtually trashed, any ideas what they are called, do they have a part number and any ideas who will supply them, I am guessing a main stealer!!!!

Unfortunately those kind of hose clips are not available separately. Or, better said, they don't show up in the parts catalog.

To buy one of those you have to buy the whole lot of 4 hoses, part# WJP108110

I see these options:

- get the corresponding hose (with clips) from a breakers yard

- buy the whole WJP108110 assembly from LR

- buy WJP108110 from a shop: here looks too cheap and here is another option

- just use an appropriate size regular adjustable quality clip hose (if there's enough room - you need to check that)

No pics this time :)

By the way, if you can take and post pictures on the whole operation, please do so. Might help others not familiar with these things.

Edit: managed to find a pic of the WJP108110 on a german site:

post-1725-1238529468_thumb.jpg

Can you post a close up picture of what's broken and how do the other clips look like?

Unfortunately those kind of hose clips are not available separately. Or, better said, they don't show up in the parts catalog.

To buy one of those you have to buy the whole lot of 4 hoses, part# WJP108110

I see these options:

- get the corresponding hose (with clips) from a breakers yard

- buy the whole WJP108110 assembly from LR

- buy WJP108110 from a shop: here looks too cheap and here is another option

- just use an appropriate size regular adjustable quality clip hose (if there's enough room - you need to check that)

No pics this time :)

By the way, if you can take and post pictures on the whole operation, please do so. Might help others not familiar with these things.

Edit: managed to find a pic of the WJP108110 on a german site:

post-1725-1238529468_thumb.jpg

Can you post a close up picture of what's broken and how do the other clips look like?

I have attached a picture of the "Clip", it secures the pipe into the top of the fuel pump.

the two in the picture Blue and Black are OK, its the green one which i havent taken a picture of that is mangled. i notice on your picture these were not shown so maybe they come with the pump.

However my problems get worst after taking the pump out my horn is constantly one, and makes different tones if you open the doors. i have really upset the neighbours as it took me 20 mins to find a 13mm spanner to disconnect the battery. Surely this problem has nothing to do with removing the fuel pump

post-11582-1238530363_thumb.jpg

Ah, those are the "clips" ... Yes, they come with the pump.

post-1725-1238531664_thumb.jpg

I thought you were talking about the ones on the hoses used for color coding - to know what hose goes where to the pump ...

Thank god for that, finally any idea about the horn problem do you think its related, maybe something to do with the alarm????!!! I'm clutching at straws.

If only I could jet reset it or turn it off!!!

Open up a new thread on the horn/alarm issue with all the details you can think of, please.

It's enough this thread started as "what do we think about AllMakes fuel pump", turned into "how do we test the fuel pump" with a hopefully happy end on "how do we change the fuel pump" ... At least we're talking about pumps :)

Edit: He, he ....

This was my 1000th post:

post-1725-1238537350_thumb.jpg

Open up a new thread on the horn/alarm issue with all the details you can think of, please.

It's enough this thread started as "what do we think about AllMakes fuel pump", turned into "how do we test the fuel pump" with a hopefully happy end on "how do we change the fuel pump" ... At least we're talking about pumps :)

I'll finish the post tomorrow with "ALL DONE ITS DRIVEABLE AGAIN" albiet with the horn blaring...... then I'll probably open another post if I still have the problem.

Glad you got it sorted. Wasn't that hard after all, was it?

1. I guess you're thinking to overcome the fact that you didn't change the seal? I would tight the ring about the same as it was before, 10-20% more at most. Don't put everything back yet, fill up the tank (until the petrol station pump clicks, not more) and drive it around for half hour or so. Then check for fuel leaks in the area. If no leaks the put everything back in place.

2. Drive it for a while, high speed or significant inclines, "pedal to the metal" where road conditions/traffic permit that and see if it still smokes. Or, in fewer words, do an "Italian tune-up" first.

Glad you got it sorted. Wasn't that hard after all, was it?

1. I guess you're thinking to overcome the fact that you didn't change the seal? I would tight the ring about the same as it was before, 10-20% more at most. Don't put everything back yet, fill up the tank (until the petrol station pump clicks, not more) and drive it around for half hour or so. Then check for fuel leaks in the area. If no leaks the put everything back in place.

2. Drive it for a while, high speed or significant inclines, "pedal to the metal" where road conditions/traffic permit that and see if it still smokes. Or, in fewer words, do an "Italian tune-up" first.

I put a new seal on.

Not sure if i have tightend it up enough, it seems tight, but I still rock the pump a little, it is obviously flexing on the gasket.

I'd only just filled up when the bloody thing bust.