Strange Occurance

Rolly

Stopped the car the other day to go into the shops & when I came back out and re-started there was a horrible rattle emanating from the auto gearbox when it was in "Park" and also when in "Neutral". As I moved the shift through from park to drive the noise stopped in reverse and stopped in drive. As well as this, all power was gone to the radio, wipers, lights etc. The car drove fine so I drove home and checked all the fuses and all were fine, started the car back up and the rattle was gone and the power was back.

This is a first for me but has anyone else had this one?

Just a thought:

Upon trying to start the car, the stater switch (not relay) contacts stuck closed, meaning that the starter motor was still trying to engage on a running motor and getting thrown out all the time. This would cause a rattle and lack of power to electrical equipment due to the heavy draw of the starter motor.

When engaging D, the starter inhibit switch would kill the power to the starter motor and everything would return to normal.

Turning off the ignition freed the switch contacts and on subsequent use it did not jam.

HTH

Roger

Just a thought:

Upon trying to start the car, the stater switch (not relay) contacts stuck closed, meaning that the starter motor was still trying to engage on a running motor and getting thrown out all the time. This would cause a rattle and lack of power to electrical equipment due to the heavy draw of the starter motor.

When engaging D, the starter inhibit switch would kill the power to the starter motor and everything would return to normal.

Turning off the ignition freed the switch contacts and on subsequent use it did not jam.

HTH

Roger

Love the logic.

Only thing I would change is that the failed electrics are most likely run from the auxiliary side of the ignition switch which is disabled during start so that is why they were off.

Steve