L Series Diesel Knocking

EggNChips

Got a '99 XEDi with 177K on it. the engine starts very quickly hot or cold and doesn't use much if any engine oil, so I think it may have been recon at some time.

The engine knocks for about 5 mins when cold. This is my first Direct injection engine and I've heard that they do tend to knock a bit when cold, ids this true? Ive just changed the oil and filter but it didn't make much difference.

If it is wear in the engine is it likely to be the big ends? Engine doesn't vibrate too much or anything so I don't think it's piston slap and it doesn't sound like tappet chatter. Can't really find tappets for it on Fleabay, are they the same as the K Series petrol? they seem readilly available at reasonable cost.

its normal, no problem, its a DI thing as you say, in my experience if your big ends are clattering then the oil light is flashing in time with the music.

Dont forget that it is always best to drive off straight away with a cold engine, petrol or diesel, obviously being sympathetic with slightly early gear changes and not accelerating hard till the temp gauge is showing a bit of heat in the engine.

I have a fairly good hill of about a mile straight from my house, and just as i reach the top in winter the gauge is starting to move and the motor is as quiet as a Freelander motor with 114000 miles on it is going to be!!!!

its normal, no problem, its a DI thing as you say, in my experience if your big ends are clattering then the oil light is flashing in time with the music.

Dont forget that it is always best to drive off straight away with a cold engine, petrol or diesel, obviously being sympathetic with slightly early gear changes and not accelerating hard till the temp gauge is showing a bit of heat in the engine.

I have a fairly good hill of about a mile straight from my house, and just as i reach the top in winter the gauge is starting to move and the motor is as quiet as a Freelander motor with 114000 miles on it is going to be!!!!

Thanks for the reassurance, The oil pressure light works but has never come on when the engine is running, even when really hot so I'm assuming it has good oil pressure. It is really refined and quiet when even just a little bit warm, so I'll assume that everything is ok.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the reassurance, The oil pressure light works but has never come on when the engine is running, even when really hot so I'm assuming it has good oil pressure. It is really refined and quiet when even just a little bit warm, so I'll assume that everything is ok.

Just thought I would update everyone, after the timing belt snapped I replaced the head and injectors with one of a 220 SDi and it's much better. Think it turned out to be a leaking injector. I would definitely recommend fitting the SDi injectors, the extra torque that they produce is well suited to the Freelander.