Steering troubles...

rhydgte

For a while now my discovery has had very sloppy steering.

Steering wheel is worryingly 'light' with almost no feel to it & loads of play in the steering (when driving) and no self centering at all.

When maneuvering slowly the steering feels heavy and sometimes groans.

Fluid is topped up and no leaks from anywhere.

Any ways to test various components to rule things out?

Many thanks.

I have had a simalar problem with my 300 tdi and found it to be my ball joints/track rod ends,my groan was embarassingly loud.Upon inspection I found two of the four so badly seized I have no idea how they even worked.As for testing them the way I did it was to pop it out of the swivel housing and try to move it by hand,they should move freely in every direction if they dont or the small rubber gaitor is split you can bet that all the grease is gone and its metal on metal causing the groan.The free play is where the ball has worn away the pocket in the top of the joint and thats only going to get worse.Another thing to check is the splined rod that comes from the steering box theres a coupling/universal joint type thing just check that all the bolts are tight.