Discovery TD5 - Handbrake Rattle / Some sort of other rattle at idle &

rjsdavis

Hi all

I know that I've been a little selfish of late, and have a couple of issues that I'm trying to get to the bottom of!

I've got a rattle that I've posted before, but a local mechanic thinks he's sourced the problem, the problem identified is apparently loose handbrake shoes and housing, which previously was occuring at around 2,000 rpm (from about 1,700 - 2,200 rpm) in either first, second or third gears. Above or below this range, there was no adverse noise at all.

It was diagnosed, as apparently the mechanic has seen this once before, and this was double-confirmed by when driving the car on test and lifting the handbrake (gently!) whilst driving, just to the point of biting, the rattle is removed.

Now, I've noticed that there is a rattle at idle. I kind of suspect that it is the same problem that has now got worse and is now rattling at idle as well as in the range described above.

The reason for posting is that I just don't want to get this wrong. The parts (shoes and housing) are some £140 and the labour on top would make this an expensive mistake if it turned out to be something else!!! Any thoughts / experiences of any others users that might have seen / heard this before would be really, really welcome - particularly anything that can be checked by me at idle to make sure that this is what we currently think it is!!

Thanks in advance for any help...

• 2 years later...

Finally got this cured - thanks to Gary at Bigbury 4x4 in Canterbury.

I've had loads of suggestions, from downpipe to counter-weights and so on, but the cure was the handbrake unit.

Apparently, there was a recall on Disco TD5's back in the late 90's, where a certain piece was removed from the handbrake unit as it was causing problems - Gary checked this, and found that not only that the handbrake unit was full of gunk, but also required a modicum of adjustment to ensure that the fittings were tight. This explained that when the fault was being replicated (whilst stationary), that it could be relieved by gently pulling up on the handbrake whilst holding it in the offending rev-range.

No parts required, just a bit of adjustment and clearing out of some carp, and totally thrilled that that fecking rattle has finally GONE! Oh, the relief..... what a good LR mechanic - can't recommend him highly enough.

(thanks for no replies though)....