GPS

Not Land Rover specific, but related.

For green laning I currently run Fugawi on a lap top using an etrex as the aerial, works great.

On road I've got a Garmin nuvi, again works great.

I've just acquired a Garmin street pilot 3 for free, and have been looking at the possibility of using this for both on road nav' and to act as my GPS aerial for the lap top. Only one unit on dash instead of two.

However after playing about with it I've made some discoveries and have some questions.

So, if you have owned or used a street pilot 3, can you help?

I know it's an old unit but the mapping/usability is awful. So,

1. Do the latest map/software updates for these get it anywhere near as good as the nuvi?

I like the fact the etrex will display an OSGB grid ref so i can cross ref to a paper map if the lap top is not plugged in.

2. Is there any way of changing the current position setting on the street pilot to display OSGB?

I know the unit will output NMEA data to the lap top, so will work as my aerial. But the data lead doesn't power the street pilot at the same time, meaning running it batteries.

3. Is there a data transfer cable available that also has a tail for a 12v power lead?

So far i think the answers to all my question are NO.

I'm happy with my current set up, I just thought that I may be able to cut down the ammount of stuff on the dash as the street pilot was free.