D1 and D2 transfer boxes

nicks90

got a 2000 plate td5 manual D2 and its developed a bit of a whine under acceleration between 60-70, 'growls' a bit at low speeds/revs in 1st and 2nd and is starting to annoy me. Sitting in various seats in the motor hasnt really helped identify where the noise is coming from either.

From searching on here, there could be a few things that cause this - diff problem, hub bearing problem, propshaft, tranny box etc etc etc

ah, the joys of landrovers and their funny noises and the hours of fun tracing travelling noises and knocks!

one of the other things that annoys me is the lack of centre diff lock, now i believe that early D2 has the difflock still in the tranny box but doesnt have the proper lever attached, sooooo to kill 2 birds with one stone and help in the process of elimination - can i fit a late 300tdi transfer box into my D2 with the proper lever to get centre difflock back?

Hopefully this'll also sort out the whine, if not I have a spare 24 spline diff i can chuck in as the next part of 'operation whine elimination'.

cheers

nick

hi, ive just done mine not got round to fitting the inside plastic yet,,, i did have 1 problem am using a late r380 (td5 box) and a late 300tdi t/box i did have to get a hi/lo/diff lock selector ,,, when i came to fitting the diff lock bar it has a center pin so it can pivot but i found i had no hole to screw into the box to hold the pin ,, hope you no wot i mean..

the td5 transfer box is a better box than fitted to the tdis if you dont have to change it try and keep it there is also no switch for the hi\lo so that could give problems with hill decent control and the ecu

to fit the tdi diff lock linkage you will need the main gear box gear stick housing(must be off a 300 tdi discovery every thing else can be off a 200 or 300 defender of discovery ) , the hi\lo difflock gear stick housing, the 2 linkage rods, the thread with the 10mm hole in it that the difflock rod pivots on, the hi\lo selector housing that bolts on top of the transfer box (td5 one can be modified), and the rubber gromet thing that rivits ont the gear box tunnel with the sound insolating pad (off a 200 or 300 discovery)

i got a r380 gear box with a bug*gerd transfer box off ebay for £100 (wanted the gearbox to convert for my 90)