R reg 1.8 freelander gearbox.

straightsix

Hi going to look at an r reg freelander today,i beleive it needs a new gearbox,si i will be looking for a replacement, can anyone tell me which model the gearbox is....is it the same gearbox throughout the model run or were they changed at any point? thanks.

Hi going to look at an r reg freelander today,i beleive it needs a new gearbox,si i will be looking for a replacement, can anyone tell me which model the gearbox is....is it the same gearbox throughout the model run or were they changed at any point? thanks.

..also while reading a few posts here i suppose it could possibly be the IRD,is there any surefire way of diagnosing which box is at fault?

any help aprecciated.

..also while reading a few posts here i suppose it could possibly be the IRD,is there any surefire way of diagnosing which box is at fault?

any help aprecciated.

ok..after a lot of forum hopping i reckon its the IRD thats shot,and possibly VCU.

would removing the rearpropshaft make any difference to the horrible banging/scraping noise from the IRD till i can source another?

kinda beginning to regret selling me disco now :(

ok..after a lot of forum hopping i reckon its the IRD thats shot,and possibly VCU.

would removing the rearpropshaft make any difference to the horrible banging/scraping noise from the IRD till i can source another?

kinda beginning to regret selling me disco now :(

Probably not. Could be stripped teeth and shot bearings. Only difficult thing about repairing an IRD box is getting the heat exchanger plate off without damage. If you have the ability to remove the IRD then you could rebuild it yourself.