Discovery I 300 Tdi alternators

Thys

Guys, my '96 Disco I 300 Tdi's alternator went out of service on Friday morning, after 203000 km's. The Little Black Box EMS IV picked the failure up before the battery warning light came on. The rear bearing disintegrated, and the field coils burned.

I had a spare one, but noted that my original one has a heat shield. The spare one does not even have the extended studs on the back to mount the heat shield spacers and heat shield.

Both alternators are Magneti Merelli, and has LR data plates.

My question is, did LR change the alternator specs on the Disco I 300Tdi's?

I am very concerned running the spare alternator without a heat shield as the rear is too close for comfort to the exhaust manifold. I made a temporally mounting to mount the heat shield.

My 98 300 tdi doesn't have a heat shield as yours did and it's been fine for the past 11 years :)

Use your imagination and whatever you have there handy (nuts, bolts, spacers etc) and you can fit the heat shield if you really want to.

Yip, mines not had one for over 2 years after a replacement alt from LR came without it and the studs are smaller so I couldn't use the original spacers to mount the old one. I've laways intended to sort it out but never bothered - its been fine so I'm in no rush..........

Hi All

I fitted a Ford Scorpio 100A one about 2 years ago. It was £60! A lot cheaper than any other I could find. Had to swap the pulley, fitted the old heatshield by wireties round various hoses etc. had no problems at all.

Still waiting for the welding verdict............

Cheers, Bill

Yip, mines not had one for over 2 years after a replacement alt from LR came without it and the studs are smaller so I couldn't use the original spacers to mount the old one. I've laways intended to sort it out but never bothered - its been fine so I'm in no rush..........

:) Thanks guys for the response. :) Based on the responses, the one I bought is also a replacement altenator from LR. I also went the cable tie way with the old heat shield.

Have a nice day.