Check you Air Con Pipes

disco_al

Took the disco to have the air con done yesterday, only to be told there was a slight leak from the pipe that runs under the coolant bottle (300 tdi, 94 model). No problem i thought, take it off, get it repaired with some new stuff we have got at work, and bung it back on.............

If only it was that simple. It turns out it's a common problem area on Disco's. Where the air con pipe is clipped to the inner wing, Landrover used a steel clip, with a rubber insulator, to hold the aluminium pipe - and we all know what happens when steel and aluminium stay in contact..........

Photo-0036.jpg

acpipe.jpg

Number 5 in the diagram, and a new one is around the £100 mark (There is a thread on here involving something similar, if you search for the part number, BTR7230). The clip that causes the problem is number 8.

Being in Air Conditioning for many years, I contemplated that one before it could happen, but not for the corrosion issue, more the friction & rubbing a hole in the pipe. However, I did treat & seal that area before fitting the clamp back.

You have to wonder what grade of moron would design & allow that to be fitted to a flexible ally pipe. The bracket is not very substantial in the first place.