Overheating Freelander

I'm in the process of having the engine in my 1.8 2000 Freelander replaced with a reconditioned unit. The workshop supplied the recon unit along with a new clutch, timing belt and water pump, and I threw in a new thermostat for good measure. My local mechanic supplied the labour plus a few other parts that ere omitted from the engine (seals, etc.). The mechanic has got to a stage now where the new engine is in and everything is working. The only problem is that we've discovered it overheats when it's been driven. At idle the does not seem to be any issues.

If you are familiar with Freelander engines, you will know that the petrol K-Series are notorious. Now what you might not know is that, in 2000, Land Rover decided to modify the engine. As far as I can gather the timing belt was given an automatic adjuster and at the same time the water pump was modified. The output of the engine was changed from 88kW(120hp) to 86(117hp) kW, although I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem.

Now here's the question: Assuming the fixings on the water pumps are the same, would an incorrectly specified water pump result in the engine overheating while being driven and remaining normal at idle? I don't know if this is the case, but I need to eliminate this from the equation. As a last resort we are going to pull the head and check for blockages, but I don't want to do that now.

If anyone has a suggestion or two that doesn't involve a match and petrol please let me have them. I am open to any constructive opinions at the moment. :unsure:

I'm in the process of having the engine in my 1.8 2000 Freelander replaced with a reconditioned unit. The workshop supplied the recon unit along with a new clutch, timing belt and water pump, and I threw in a new thermostat for good measure. My local mechanic supplied the labour plus a few other parts that ere omitted from the engine (seals, etc.). The mechanic has got to a stage now where the new engine is in and everything is working. The only problem is that we've discovered it overheats when it's been driven. At idle the does not seem to be any issues.

If you are familiar with Freelander engines, you will know that the petrol K-Series are notorious. Now what you might not know is that, in 2000, Land Rover decided to modify the engine. As far as I can gather the timing belt was given an automatic adjuster and at the same time the water pump was modified. The output of the engine was changed from 88kW(120hp) to 86(117hp) kW, although I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem.

Now here's the question: Assuming the fixings on the water pumps are the same, would an incorrectly specified water pump result in the engine overheating while being driven and remaining normal at idle? I don't know if this is the case, but I need to eliminate this from the equation. As a last resort we are going to pull the head and check for blockages, but I don't want to do that now.

If anyone has a suggestion or two that doesn't involve a match and petrol please let me have them. I am open to any constructive opinions at the moment. :unsure:

I doubt that an incorrect water pump would cause the overheating, tho a failed water pump would. What was the modification to the water pump? I would bet it is an enhancement like change from platic to metal impeller or the like.

My guess would be an air lock in the system. I had a Frontera a few years ago and the HG failed twice due to an air lock. eventually I managed to get all the air out the system by removing the temperature sensor then the EGR valve and so on.

• 3 weeks later...

i always vac fill the cooling system to elliminate any air locks do you have the modified thermostate in the hoses or the old type on the back of the pump if iis a recon engine did you check that it was not an early engine with the old state in the back of the pump? was the rad flushed?