Disco 2 TD5 Auto NO DRIVE

dajm1

Hi, I've bought a discovery 2 td5 Auto, i bought it with a gearbox fault and the fault is that there is no drive at all even if you put the leaver in 1 2 3 or drive or reverse. I've checked the linkage and that still works ok and the oil level in the box is fine. Could it be Gearbox, torque converter or auto box ecu, any help appreciated.

Regards

Could it be Gearbox, torque converter or auto box ecu

Yes :)

(It could be any of those things)

Are you certain the problem is within the gearbox i.e. checked the propshafts are not spinning when you try and drive it, checked that the transfer box is not somehow in neutral / linkage broken (does the autobox parking pawl engage and hold the vehicle?)

Hi thanks for the quick responce, yes i've checked that the propshafts arn't spinning and the box goes into park ok(ie; it holds the car as it should) the transfer box goes into high and low ratios. has that narrowed it down any more?

Regards

Dan

Yes and no - it does mean that the rest of the drivetrain is OK if it holds the vehicle in Park - you probably need to plug it into a diagnostic computer and see what is going on, IIRC a Testbook can read off the speeds of the various inner workings of the box and there may be fault codes logged as well.

Did you use the correct procedure for checking oil level i.e. with the engine running and working it through the gears while checking/topping up at the level hole?

Are there any noises when you try and drive it?

Is there a gear position indicator on the dash display and does it show all the gears i.e. PRND321?

Does the Sport and Manual modes work (light up the S or M lights)?

Do the S&M lights ever flash together? (indicates a gearbox fault if so)

Just a few things to check which may help narrow it down.

I've plugged it into diag and thats the only time the 'm' and 's' have flashed but no fault codes found in the box? I have noticed a slight change in the engine noise when r d 1 2 3 are selected but still no movement. It still shows PRND321 when i go through the box. The 'm' light never comes on at all (apart from when m and s flashed with diag plugged in)

Regards

Dan

Yes and no - it does mean that the rest of the drivetrain is OK if it holds the vehicle in Park - you probably need to plug it into a diagnostic computer and see what is going on, IIRC a Testbook can read off the speeds of the various inner workings of the box and there may be fault codes logged as well.

Did you use the correct procedure for checking oil level i.e. with the engine running and working it through the gears while checking/topping up at the level hole?

Are there any noises when you try and drive it?

Is there a gear position indicator on the dash display and does it show all the gears i.e. PRND321?

Does the Sport and Manual modes work (light up the S or M lights)?

Do the S&M lights ever flash together? (indicates a gearbox fault if so)

Just a few things to check which may help narrow it down.