Crankshaft on a 300TDi

Rolly

Hi all, after 3 weeks of mucking around I gave up and gave the Disco to my local LR mechanic (not a dealer).

They found the crankshaft was snapped at the belt drive :blink:

They'd never seen one break in that position before (seems to be a common theme with my car, whenever I break

something it seems to be a first).

So, has anyone else encountered this? And why would it break in the first place? The car hadn't been driven in 24 hrs and

was idling in my shed when I put it into drive and she stopped.

One good thing is she won't be lonely, my friend's Defender is sitting along-side her in the workshop. Mine's nicknamed

Camilla & his is Dianna so they'll have a lot to talk about.

'Kinell :o

I seem to remember the old foreman at work going on about a 2.5 NA that snapped once upon a time a hundred years ago but it certainly isn't common and I've seen quite a lot of 300Tdis over the last 13 years - and never that.

Frame it :)

Are you saying it had broken at the front sprocket? :huh:
'Kinell :o

I seem to remember the old foreman at work going on about a 2.5 NA that snapped once upon a time a hundred years ago but it certainly isn't common and I've seen quite a lot of 300Tdis over the last 13 years - and never that.

Frame it :)

Yep, just inside the front sprocket (I'll put a photo up soonish).

I was thinking maybe something could be off-kilter with the harmonics but I only had a new timing belt kit put in 2 years ago so who knows.