ECU let down

kevin31031961

Once again i'm after your help lads :blink: Tried to get my air con done which is now charged but guess what :angry: The ECU is playing up , so where can i get one that will not cost the price of a new car reconditioned or new you lads know everything well i hope you do i think landrover quoted £700 at least plus vat now that wouldnt be to bad if i hadnt spent £1600 on leaks oil changes steering colum etc so i'm trying to save just a little before i go bankrupt :o so lads any ideas its a 03 gs auto not sure which one it could be but i'm having trouble with the "S" an "M" but it's not the gearbox, have been told if i by pass the ecu the air con works

From memory the engine ecu provides an earth path to pull in the A/C clutch,but I doubt it is an ecu fault.You say there is an M and S lamp issue,but no gearbox fault.I think what is happening is that the can traffic between the engine and autobox ecu's is corrupted or more likely incomplete.Because of this the engine ecu will limit operations.Often this is a result of wiring looms rubbing through and shorting sensor wires down to earth.The way to sort it is to look carefully at ANY fault codes logged and then trace any possible loom faults that could cause them.If you can get all that info working again and get the can traffic working I think the A/C will work again.

Would it help if i had the codes ? where i had the air con done they said if they by passed the ECU then the air con worked fine :huh: with the loom maybe damaged is it a amature job or would it need a very good auto electrician, i've had it tested when i had the "S" and "M" flashing and they said that an earth was upon the loom........................i'm lost now and the garages i take it to give me nice big bills but no answers,your help is much apreciated and cannot thank you enough for any assistance

You really need a good LR independant,as most general auto sparky's only have generic scanners which often dont get all the info out like Testbook would.They also should be more familiar with the areas of the looms that cause trouble.Have a look youself where the engine loom comes around the front of the cyl head,across to the ACE pump,A/C compressor and down to the airflow meter and boost solenoid.Any damage here could cause it.Harder to check is where the autobox loom goes around the back of the transfer box - this is more likely in your case.Esp if the WXYZ positioning switch has been tested via live data.

Good luck !