200Tdi Electrical fire??

rhydgte

My mates 1993 200TDi has developed a problem which he has asked for my help to sort out, basically as far as I can tell something electrical is burning when driving the vehicle.

He has had white smoke coming from the heater vents inside, the passenger foot well and also from the bonnet near the windscreen. It stinks of that electrical smoldering type smell.

Where's the best place to start with this then??

Cheers

P.S The vehicle is not being driven until we've sorted it.

My mates 1993 200TDi has developed a problem which he has asked for my help to sort out, basically as far as I can tell something electrical is burning when driving the vehicle.

He has had white smoke coming from the heater vents inside, the passenger foot well and also from the bonnet near the windscreen. It stinks of that electrical smoldering type smell.

Where's the best place to start with this then??

Cheers

P.S The vehicle is not being driven until we've sorted it.

I'd start with a fuel leak onto the exhaust manifold or the engine earth strap is broken causing the handbrake cable to carry the starter current.

Second choices would be a hole in the exhaust or runaway glow plugs.

seen as you dont seem to point to it coming from the engine bay, and its all centered around the dash, i suspect the heater blower motor or related equipment.

Especially as it sucks its air in from the scuttle panel where you can see smoke, and its coming out of the vents.