LT230 Collapsible Spacer

specwarop

Gday,

Just curious with this one. But I was reading that with one of the strength modification kits for the LT230 they don't use the collapsible spacer and the needle roller bearing, instead they use a preloaded tapered roller bearing which not only means no pre-load adjustment but that its also 3 times stronger.

Is this a possible modification just on its own? If so how would you work ut what tapered roller bearing you would require, etc.?

Regards

There are two flavours of LT230 - one type has needle roller bearings on a straight shaft, one has taper roller bearings that are separated by a crush tube. To run taper roller bearings with no crush tube I'd imagine you'd have to use shims to set it up. I wasn't aware that either box was particularly weak in that area, they will take 400hp+ without modification.

The LT230T has the taper bearings and the collapsible tube. However LR now recommend replacing the collapsible tube with a non-collapsible one and i think there are 40 different lengths and the correct length selected by using a set up tool from LR. The gear and the bearings are set up on this tool and a measurement taken and a formula using the bearing thicknesses determines the right length tube to use to give the correct pre-load. I need to do this myself as I am rebuilding my box currently. As I don't have the tool and no one can tell me the critical dimension of the post on the tool to make the calculation... this what I am going to do!!!

Assemble the box with a new crush tube and set to pre-load. Remove crush tube and measure length. Obtain non-crush tube that length (will actually have longest length one on hand and machine down in lathe). Reassemble and test pre-load. May need to remove again and just lap slightly on stone and refit and try again until correct.

I think the reason LR no longer recommend the crush tube is that over time and tension the crush tube must give very slightly and the bearings lose their pre-load and thus wear into the shaft, as has happened in my case.

Hope this helps. Cheers.