OT, My new yellow van is sick

Gromit

Hi, sorry this is completely off topic, but y'all know your stuff and are kind souls, so maybe you could point me in the right direction.

My newly acquired more-reliable-than-a-land-rover (ha!) yellow van is sounding sick. :angry:

There's a bearing howling at about 30mph, and around 60mph. It's related to road speed not engine speed. howls on power and over-run but not in between, stops when I dip the clutch presumabley cause there's no load. It sounds like it's somehwere around the front left (clutch/gearbox is front left). Don't feel any unusual vibrations.

First thought was wheel bearing, but given that it stops when I dip the clutch is this possible? Thought a wheel bearing would howl,load or no load.

If not could it be the gearbox output?

Clutch release bearing would be related to engine speed not transmission speed so I don't think it's that.

Van is a Renault Kangoo 1.9D (Yellow)

Anyone any ideas?

Land Rover content: If any of ye in your Land Rovers see me at the side of the M50 this evening, kicking a yellow van with only 3 wheels, please pull over and say hello. :P

Almost derfinitely the clutch thrust bearing. If you sit with the engine ticking over in neutral and by pressing the clutch pedal the noise changes, then it#s most likely the culprit. The only other option would be the input shaft bearing, so gearbox off anyway. If the thrust bearing has siezed, then it will friction cut it's way through the fingers of the clutch cover, and then you'll lose all drive. If it's just general wear, the noise will get progressively worse until the thrust bearing self destructs and again you lose all drive. Don't think the input shaft bearing is a DIY job, so lotsa money !

If I remember - the Kango van is a bit of a swine to remove the gearbox. Good luck anyway.

Les.

Almost derfinitely the clutch thrust bearing.

Cheers Les,

In neutral, with the clutch in, there's no noise at any revs so am I right in thinking that this discounts the release bearing?

Have a bit of a brain fade as to whether it could be the cluth or not, tis Monday after all :blink: