defender td5 pre 2002

hi guys...

this is for the td5 gurus out there :)

i have a pre 2002 td5, fitted with a post 2002 ecu and remapped for stage 2. i was going to buy a turbo boost box so that the ecu wont give an over boost when i boost it to 18 psi for better performance and to reduce the black smoke since i had the remap. but my problem is...i discovered that pre 2002 td5s' turbo boost is not controlled through a soleniod (like the one used for the egr) but the boost is mechanically controlled from the waste gate! so its useless for me to have one of those turbo boxes! right? now i opened the waste gate to 18psi!

but my question is...how will the ecu know that it is over boosted now!?? when i drove it everything was ok and the famous black smoke that i used to have behind me has gone :) that was my scope! but is it healthy for the engine doind what i did?

thanks alot guys!

Gil

The "boost box" does not control the boost itself. All TD5 are controlled by the actuator mechanically. The pressure sensor sends between 0 and 5v to the ECU up to the maximum boost. All the box does it limit the potential difference to 5v to ensure the ECU does not know you have exceed the maximum perimeter.

thanks alot philip...so i boosted the turbo from the waste gate without installing the turbo box...is it wrong? cos the car runs fine without the box. and when i accelerate and get to the 18psi mark the car doesn't drop power or something. i am asking cos i don't want to make any damage and mayb in some time i kill the turbo or any other part.

thanks

till now, been driving like that for a week now, it didnt go on limp mode! mayb the ecu goes into that after the 18psi mark! any one can confirm that please?? who sells tha turbo bos claims that u can boost the system up to 22 psi with that! but i doubt it if a standard td5 turbo remains alive after that!

thanks gil