Hissing noise

Boro

I was under the landrover checking it over for mot, engine running as i was checking exhaust etc at the time and noticed a sort of hissing noise coming from around the engine underneath, it was however irregular rather than constant, anyway i tracked this down to be coming from the threaded hole in the bottom of the gearbox bell housing (timing pin hole) as the noise would disappear when i blocked the hole with my thumb, i never noticed it before now and just want to know whether its normal or whether its a sign of something being wrong :blush:

Sounds like the clutch thrust bearing it's on its way out.

Double check that by asking someone else to dip or lightly press the clutch pedal while you listen underneath (or might press the clutch pedal and hear yourself in a quiet environment - like in a garage) and see if noise disappears/diminishes/increases/changes its pitch/etc. If the noise changes then its the thrust bearing.

Hmm, as Boro described it, nobody was dipping the clutch when he could hear the noise. It was just a LR with the engine running on idle and been looked at from underneath. So the flywheel + clutch plate were as one, no relative movement in between, no rubbing between those parts.

That is if I understood the whole story correctly.