Spring recommendation

Rodewaryer

I've found I need to raise the beastie about an inch, maybe 1.5". I guess that's between 25-35 mm or so. Any higher and she doesn't fit in the garage anymore. Can anyone suggest a starting point for springs? Need them to be the same basic spring rate or possibly just slightly stiffer. When I do this will the sway bars need to go or....? My off road exploits are not that serious since I'm still on stock springs and shocks. It has worked fine for me for the last 13 years. The offset of the TX-1's (for road use) and the tire size increase on my factory wheels for offroading is the reason I figure a slight lift will help prevent the rubbing I'm getting. :-)

Yeah, I'm just trying to save some searching time...thanks in advance!

If you are not going off road, it's difficult to understand the user requirement for lifting her - especially if you are going to let a minor issue like the size of your garage limit your customisation!

Looks?

Keep the sway (we call them anti-roll) bars, especially if you are going to raise the centre of gravity.

I live out in the country and go "soft" road (rather than serious off road) when I am shooting (what you would call hunting) so whilst the terrain can be challenging, its not extreme - however, I am on uprated (stiffer) but the normal length coils springs all round.

HTH?

The importance of the garage needs situational understanding. Leaving a vehicle outdoors here (the desert) is committing it to a slow death. The sun is brutal, vehicles need to be indoors. Car covers help a lot but they are physically demanding especially if you are not at home in stormy weather and need to rely on the fit and method of attachment to stay on in wind etc. Needless to say, covers can work but are a LOT of trouble. I'd rather the Disco was in the garage. Also, one advantage is how I don't fit in the Joe average American category, the majority of whom have huge American trucks. Almost none of them fit in garages (mostly due to length) so it's another reason I am adamant about her being inside. I'm not sure how else a '96 could still look as good as mine does in this environment.

Rubbing with the TX-1 wheels 'on road' (they have a rather outrageous offset, which I REALLY like and will take a lot to talk me out of) is under suspension compression in the rear, and it's literally tearing up the tires either from the lower rear corner of the wing or from the body seams at 12 o'clock position, or both. If I lift it a bit and retain the same stiffness I would think it would help/poss prevent the issue but there's no way to know without someone's suggestion who's tried it or by taking a risk by trying a best guess spring. I have a whole season where I don't go off road, hence the 'on road' wheels and tires getting a fair amount of use. Summers here are just too hot to spend time in the great outdoors, so the old girl gets used more for truck duties and bad weather from April to October.

Off road I use the stock wheels and since I have the 245/75-16's (both sets use that size now, incl the spare) they rub a little where the 'camel cuts' have been suggested, I have not resorted to cutting this area yet since I see no damage, it's really just an annoyance when off road and even then it's only on the most 'articulated' situations.