Starter Motor

SpenB

Morning all,

Think my starter motor might need the contacts cleaning or at least looking at.

It had been starting on the 2nd to 10th try. When it dosent start there is just a "click".

I have been in from the top and had a look from underneath but for the life of my I cant see how to get at it.

Any advice on removal please - I have done a search but couldnt find the info I was after.

Much appreciated as its stuck on the works car park.

SpenB

Sorry Les, forgot the most basic info.

Its a 91' 200Tdi Defender.

To be honest I havent done alot as I done know what to do.

Theres been alot of people round it putting their 2p in and have all said the starter motor.

The battery is fine and all the electrics work.

What I think I want to do is take the contacts off and clean them but I cant seem to find where they are or even get my hand up to feel anything.

Hope this helps somemore.

You have to remove the exhaust downpipe to get at the starter. 17mm head bolt at the top - close to the block, 17mm nut & bolt on the outside at the top, and 17mm nut on a stud underneath. Should be an earth strap to the outer Nut & Bolt. Main cable connection is 13mm brass nut, and exciter wire is a blade connection. Starter motor comes out from the top, so undo the bottom nut first, then the nut & bolt, then the inner bolt (you'll need a 6" extension bar on a ratchet to get at it along the back of the starter motor body.

As far as I know - you can't dismantle the solenoid to get at the contacts, but can remove the plunger and spring to clean inside it. Solenoids are available seperately for about £35.

Les.

Thanks for the detailed info Les, really appreciated.

Cheers,

SpenB

Hi Spen,

I had the same with my 90, it clicked etc so i used to give the solenoid a sharp tap (as they can stick with dirt and carp in) with a long ext bar i used for undoing the wheel nuts.

It worked for a while but i ended up getting a new starter motor anyway and was really suprised what a difference it made when starting as it flew round instead of the slow laboured cranking i had before so it obv wasn't up to much and prob just about hanging on.

If you need to get it home can't you bump start it and mess about with it there ?

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Yes now i can get it started on the 5th or 6th try i'll take it home tonight.

So, as its started to play up, by the time i have stripped it all down just to check it out etc (to find it does it again in a few weeks).

It seems it might be worth the extra expence to just stick a new one on there and then (only fitting it once then).

Check the original out and if its ok keep as a spare and/or sell it for beer tokens if and when somebodyelse needs one.

Thanks again.

SpenB

If you decide to replace the whole thing, then there are several makes available - Prestolite being the cheapest for around £80. Unfortunately they have a poor record for reliability. Valeo, Drivetec are ok/good, and are around £140, and then Bosch, which will cost you around the £200 mark.

Les.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Spen,

I had the same with my 90, it clicked etc so i used to give the solenoid a sharp tap (as they can stick with dirt and carp in) with a long ext bar i used for undoing the wheel nuts.

It worked for a while but i ended up getting a new starter motor anyway and was really suprised what a difference it made when starting as it flew round instead of the slow laboured cranking i had before so it obv wasn't up to much and prob just about hanging on.

If you need to get it home can't you bump start it and mess about with it there ?

Mark

Mel, My 90 has the same symptoms and I'd like to see if the sharp tap works before embarking on taking exhaust off etc etc. Can you tell me where abouts you tap to get the solenoid "freed" is it the silverbit at the end of the starter motor?

Cheers

Malc