Advice needed buying 200Tdi

slurrymonster

Hello,

I'm new here and new to land rovers (although I have been lurking for a while). I went to look at a discovery this evening and its given me a few questions which hopefully someone can help with.

I was originally after a 300tdi but a nice 200 has come up. The vehicle in question is an L-reg 200 series Discovery which started out life as a V8 but has been converted to a 200tdi by a family friend who has worked on landies all his life and has a yard full of minis, series vehicles, a ford prefect hot rod and a 100 inch hybrid, so I believe that he knows what he's doing. He's said that the engine it currently has is weak but he's going to transplant another engine which 'pulls like a train' before sale. No sunroofs and all the rot has been taken care of by the bloke.

The niggles are this:

-I don't particularly like the lights on the 200 series and would want to replace them with the 300 front

-The interior is a little dated compared to the 300 series (is it easy to live with?)

-The rev counter doesn't work (petrol rev counter not compatible with diesel pulses), how to make this work?

-Where the rust has been sorted patches have been welded over without cutting out the old rust (will this be okay or re-emerge quickly?)

The price is £1200, not sure what the mileage is (especially since the engine has been changed a number of times). I also have this guys assurance (which I believe) that the vehicle is mechanically sound.

Do people think all this sounds about right?

That's about all I can think of.

Thanks

Luke

I would also say that you could probably get better for less.

The re-sale value of the 200 when you eventually want ot move it on is going to be well low given its history. 300 Tdis come up fairly regularly for less, just look at a fair few and make your own mind up

I bought one for £250, which looks a nail but is solid except for the abuse I have given it - allthe problems I have had are traceable back to my own lack of maintenance/checking basic things like water/oil levels.