110 CSW Fuel Pumps

I won't go through the gory details of why, but the question is simple. Can you replace the lift pump on the 200Tdi with a (low pressure) tank mounted electric pump? Will this affect the injector pump?

Alternatively, can you feed the lift pump with an electric pump (I assume not as it will just over pressurise the system).

Finally, if neither of the above work, how easy is it to attach an outlet pipe to the bottom of an existing aluminum fuel tank? (With no internal access apart from the filler cap!)

Cheers

Peter

I won't go through the gory details of why, but the question is simple. Can you replace the lift pump on the 200Tdi with a (low pressure) tank mounted electric pump? Will this affect the injector pump?

Alternatively, can you feed the lift pump with an electric pump (I assume not as it will just over pressurise the system).

Finally, if neither of the above work, how easy is it to attach an outlet pipe to the bottom of an existing aluminum fuel tank? (With no internal access apart from the filler cap!)

Cheers

Peter

From a purely theoretical point of view, you understand :ph34r: :

Idea One - Yes, but you'd need to match the pump delivery to the engine at full 'burn.

Idea Two - Yes you could, as the mechanical lift pump is essentially just two one-way valves and an excited diaphragm, but would this be better over idea one?

Idea Three - I'd vote nightmare, also the manufacturer leaves a little gap at the bottom of the dip tube to allow gunge and water to collect in the tank and not all over your filters. A bottom fed tank wouldn't give you that feature.

Question - why no gory details :( ? This is LR4x4.com :lol: ! (seriously, the details might help someone else identify a problem too)

From a purely theoretical point of view, you understand :ph34r: :

Idea One - Yes, but you'd need to match the pump delivery to the engine at full 'burn.

Idea Two - Yes you could, as the mechanical lift pump is essentially just two one-way valves and an excited diaphragm, but would this be better over idea one?

Idea Three - I'd vote nightmare, also the manufacturer leaves a little gap at the bottom of the dip tube to allow gunge and water to collect in the tank and not all over your filters. A bottom fed tank wouldn't give you that feature.

Question - why no gory details :( ? This is LR4x4.com :lol: ! (seriously, the details might help someone else identify a problem too)

The gory details are actually quite simple.

I bought this tank on ebay when I thought I was retrofitting a petrol option to a V8 Defender 110 CSW that was only LPG. My wife was (justifiably) concerned that LPG only may leave us searching for a garage with little option. We have now decided that the Defender will be too small for us*, so it is for sale (look in the For Sale bit of the Forum). Anyway, I had bought this tank and another problem I have is that when I converted my diesel 110 to veggie as a "two tank" set up, my new diesel tank has turned out to be too small (needing filling to often), so I wondered about using this one as the diesel tank. The problem is that this tank, having an integral pump, does not have a bottom (or lower side to be accurate to avoid the carp/gunge/water) outlet. However, I have found a company locally that is prepared to weld in an outlet pipe at the lower part of one of the sides (for not too much money), so I reckon, problem solved.

Cheers

Peter

*To small for us - we breed and show Clumber Spaniels (www.whissgig.co.uk) taking 3 adults, 5 dogs and all the show stuff in a 110 has proven to be quite a challenge, so I bought a Hi-Top LWB LDV Convoy.