300tdi

discojason

Hi all,

New to this and have found the info on here top.

I'm looking to buy a 300 tdi, I've seen one that seems ok but i have a few questions please

1. it has slight corrosion on the inner wings near the edges.

2. the boot floor looks a bit rusty from underneath

3. the drivers door outer handle doesn't open the door

4. not sure if the cam belt has been changed, when and how much

apart from the above it seems the chassis is top notch, but any other tips on what to look for would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi

Done similar myself recently. From my research,

1) Could by a huge amount of work, could be trivial - look at the back end of the sills too at the bottom of the rear wheel arch, as that's where the water goes next...

2) What does it look like from inside? There are 3 seatbelts to think about, the anchorages need to be sound. Also, the rear cross member may well be a problem.

3) cheap to fix - it's usually a broken spring, which is a couple of quid on eBay, though book in a couple of hours to do it as it's a bugger of a job!

4) Can't help you, but if in doubt... According to Haynes, LandRover recommend 36000 mile intervals if it's been subjected to lots of stop start driving, off road,in fact pretty much anything.

1 & 2 are well documented on this forum, in the tech archive. There are others on this forum better placed to offer technical advise than me, but hopefully I've got you started.

Hi Discojason,

If you can see rust on floor from the OUTSIDE lift the back carpet and sound proofing and check the inside.

Probable new floor required.

If there is rust on the inner wings again more grief, had to have both jobs done on mine.

You really need to ivestigate the rust issue

Be careful

Hi Jason.

I'd advise you to have a good long look at this truck. Get the boot carpet out, get underneath with a torch and check the sills, body mounts and anything else you can see. Under the bonnet have a good look at inner wings and battery tray. Also check rear wheel arches with the back door open if it's a five door.

There are literally thousands of Disco's for sale every week. Keep your cash in your pocket, dont jump in uintil your sure. The price difference between a truck that needs welding and one that's had it done is not much - if you dont fancy having to pay for/do the job, be careful!

Stu.