300tdi rear screen heat failure

Snagger

Hi folks.

I'm asking this question here because you're the most likely group to have the answer - there aren't many RRC soft dash owners out there who would. My 1995 RRC soft dash has lost its rear windscreen heating. The wiring is all standard, and should match that of a 300Tdi Discovery.

The wing mirrors are activated by the same switch and still work correctly, but there is no power to the rear (it's not the rear screen element itself that's faulty). The switch's internal light illuminates on selection and the wing mirrors warm up, but there is no sound of any relay clicking anywhere in the vehicle.

The fuse in the engine bay has been checked and is fine. I think the relay is in the left foot well, but there is a forest of identical yellow relays down there.

Can anyone please identify which relay I need to check, or suggest wiring harness colours so that I can identify it, or suggest other issues to identify the cause of the failure?

The mirror heating elements are driven by the same relay as the rear screen, If the mirrors heat up then don't worry about the relay.

If there's no +12V when the switch is on then it must be something with the wiring.

First thing to check is where the wire runs from the body to the upper part of the tailgate. This is a moving part and sometimes the wires get broken in the jacket.

The mirror heating elements are driven by the same relay as the rear screen, If the mirrors heat up then don't worry about the relay.

If there's no +12V when the switch is on then it must be something with the wiring.

First thing to check is where the wire runs from the body to the upper part of the tailgate. This is a moving part and sometimes the wires get broken in the jacket.

Good to know, and at least it sounds like a cheap and quick repair once the headlining is out of the way. Thanks.