Lights or lack of em!

Hi Folks,

Took my 90 to work today to get used to driving it. I've had it a grand total of 3 days now.

Thr drive to work wasn't too bad, not much traffic giving me time to get used to the gear change. Starting to get light. Wasn't raining.

Coming home was a roller coaster ride. It was pitch black and raining hard and I drive 10 miles along unlit fairly busy country roads. This journey home highlighted a few things.

The head lights are pants!

The windscreen wipers have intermittant, slow and oh bugger they've stopped. :o

It's amazing how much wider a 90 feels when you can't see where you are going.

Did I say the head lights are pants.

So question is what's the best way to improve things. Donor bits from another landie or buy some off the shelf bits?

One last thing. Is there anyway to stop the daily shower. Reverse down off the drive. Put into first. Receive deluge of icy cold water all over right leg as it cascades from the gutter above the drivers door.

Cheers

Sean

The head lights are pants!

Check.

The windscreen wipers have intermittant, slow and oh bugger they've stopped. :o

It's amazing how much wider a 90 feels when you can't see where you are going.

Intermittent? Lucky b****r! Otherwise Check.

Did I say the head lights are pants.

You did :) I said Check.

So question is what's the best way to improve things. Donor bits from another landie or buy some off the shelf bits?

What? These things are all features! New wiper blades, new bushes or motor in the wiper department. Change the headlamps for +90% Xenon bulbs in Crystal headlight units (direct swap)

One last thing. Is there anyway to stop the daily shower. Reverse down off the drive. Put into first. Receive deluge of icy cold water all over right leg as it cascades from the gutter above the drivers door.

Attack the seams in the roof with Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure and then polyurethane Sikafex sealant over the top and replace the seals along the top of the windscreen, or buy a dry suit :D

Thanks for the info Errol209.

The roof has a full lining in so I thought it may be condensation getting trapped inside that and running forward. Lining does'nt look in too bad nick. Sagging a little in places and looks like someone has tried sealing round the edges in the past. Lots of brown crinkly stuff falls out if you bang it. At least it's not rust :rolleyes: At least not in that bit.

Cheers

Sean

Check.

Intermittent? Lucky b****r! Otherwise Check.

You did :) I said Check.

What? These things are all features! New wiper blades, new bushes or motor in the wiper department. Change the headlamps for +90% Xenon bulbs in Crystal headlight units (direct swap)

Attack the seams in the roof with Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure and then polyurethane Sikafex sealant over the top and replace the seals along the top of the windscreen, or buy a dry suit :D

The roof has a full lining in so I thought it may be condensation getting trapped inside that and running forward. Lining does'nt look in too bad nick. Sagging a little in places and looks like someone has tried sealing round the edges in the past. Lots of brown crinkly stuff falls out if you bang it. At least it's not rust :rolleyes: At least not in that bit.

Some of it might be condensation, but not all of it, I'll wager. The brown crinkly stuff is old foam breaking up. Saggy headlining is normal, sealed edges is a pointless bodge :ph34r:

Sounds like you have an A1 mint shed, welcome to the forum that can help you with your habit!

For future reference, can you add your home town and 90's year / model / engine to your sig.? You'll help us all help you all the better :ph34r:

Iain

A solution that myself & many others on here have used to get around the headlight situation, is to upgrade the headlights with something like Wipac Crystals. Then fit some of those nice uprated bulbs from Halfords....the halogen ones that are supposedly 30% brighter. My headlights are as good, if not better than any 'normal' car I have ever owned - if I get the spotlights & the lightbar lit up, it is slightly brighter than the sun!

You think you get showered by the amount of water that collects in your gutters?! I have a rooftent, twin jerry can holder & an aluminium cargo box fitted to my roofrack, so lots of flat surfaces to hold a LOT of water. I literally have litres of water pouring off my roof when I get in.

Okay. Quick side track.

Trying to sort out my signature but keep getting the following:

[#10211] You may only use up to lines of text in your signature.

Help. I only have 1 line of text.

Sean

Have you got some invisible stealth carriage returns floating about? If you've copied and pasted your sig you might have.

Have you got some invisible stealth carriage returns floating about? If you've copied and pasted your sig you might have.

Don't think so Errol. Typed straight into the box. I'll keep trying.

Anyhow. While I'm trying to sort it out. I have a 1989 90 Hard Top with a 200TDI.

Cheers

Sean

Don't think so Errol. Typed straight into the box. I'll keep trying.

Weird. Pretty sure there's a thread running in the International bit for forum issues if you can't beat it into submission :angry: - just follow the moans about the search function ... :rolleyes:

Anyhow. While I'm trying to sort it out. I have a 1989 90 Hard Top with a 200TDI.

Welcome! (I don't think that posh engine is the cause of all your leaks ;) and in such a new vehicle too)!