Problems with gearbox

Hi all,

I've recently had problems getting my 110 defender into 3rd gear, and its getting worse.

Its a 1990 2.5NAD 110.I have changed the oil a few months ago when it was working fine.I replaced it with ATF (hope that was the right oil ! ). Just a few days ago i noticed it wouldn't go into third sometimes,but with a good shove it would.Now it won't at all unless you rev it ( like when you change gear without a clutch). Also its been cluncking a bit when taking up drive but i assumed this was play in the transfer box.

Any ideas please guys. Is it maybe the syncromesh for 3rd gear ?

thanks

andy

P.s,

i did try a search first but couldn't find anything the same.

Hi all,

I've recently had problems getting my 110 defender into 3rd gear, and its getting worse.

Its a 1990 2.5NAD 110.I have changed the oil a few months ago when it was working fine.I replaced it with ATF (hope that was the right oil ! ). Just a few days ago i noticed it wouldn't go into third sometimes,but with a good shove it would.Now it won't at all unless you rev it ( like when you change gear without a clutch). Also its been cluncking a bit when taking up drive but i assumed this was play in the transfer box.

Any ideas please guys. Is it maybe the syncromesh for 3rd gear ?

thanks

andy

P.s,

i did try a search first but couldn't find anything the same.

Providing that you put the right oil of the right amount in the right place then it does sound like you need to send both boxes off to get reconned.

Speak to dave at ashcroft transmissions. There are other things that can cause clunking when taking up drive but as it sounds like your gearbox needs to be taken off then you will be able to do all the checks at the same time.

Providing that you put the right oil of the right amount in the right place then it does sound like you need to send both boxes off to get reconned.

Speak to dave at ashcroft transmissions. There are other things that can cause clunking when taking up drive but as it sounds like your gearbox needs to be taken off then you will be able to do all the checks at the same time.

Thanks for your reply.I thought it'll need reconditioning,its just that when the engine and box are cold it goes into 3rd gear no problem.I was wondering ,is there anything that can be adjusted or is it just buggered.