CRUISE CONTROL!!

wadey

The throttal actuator is a bit different for the diesel. the ecu has a different part number for petrol or diesel and manual or auto, vacuum pump, over-ride clutch and brake switches, steering and dash switches are the same, I don't know about the speed sensor though.

So not plug in play.

Yes, I did just this.

As teabag says - it is not plug and play.

The actuator for the diesel acts using a second cable on the injection pump. I used the V8 actuator on a suitable bracket bolted where the air con pump should be. A bolt through a spare hole on the throttle spindle served as the linkage.

The steering wheel with switches I decided was far too complicated, so I used spare buttons normally reserved for the radio on the left of the dash.

The speed sensor is exactly the same - I took the feed by splicing into the cable for the speedo.

I can't remember which ECU I used, but I got a pigtail to help the wiring. (I may even have a spare somewhere, I'll have a dig around)

You will need an additional switch on the brake pedal, and you should have one on the clutch also (although I didn't bother...)

Many parts are the same for other vehicles. I think my vacuum pump came from a Volvo and various other bits from various other vehicles.

So, yes, it is do-able, but expect a bit of a challenge.

HTH, James.

Sorry to high jack this thread but as the subject is cruse control I was wondering if any one can help me out as mine doesn't work (98 ES Spec Disco) the light on the switch comes on but it will not set, can anyone help?

Si789 - There are many bits that could be wrong. First check the diaphragm for splits/leakage and all the hoses in the vacuum system, and brake and clutch pedal switches (these are also pneumatic switches as well as electrical).

You can fire up the vacuum pump by attaching temporary wiring to a power source. One pin is common, the other two fire up the pump and the release valve. Power to both pins will cause the diaphragm to pull on the throttle, assuming no leaks.

Check buttons are working correctly with a multimeter in the ECU plug - I can't remember which pins off the top of my head, but a wiring diagram should list them. The sliding contacts on the steering wheel are a common point of failure.

Also check brake lights (a blown bulb will stop the cruise from functioning) and the functionality of the switches on both brake and clutch pedals.

HTH,

James.

But the most common reasion for it no working is split vacuum hose ends, so locate the hose tee piece behind the washer bottle a trace the hose in each direction. If you have to cut a split ends off, wrap a few laps of electrical tape around and it won't happen again.

post-5809-126253444625_thumb.jpg

But the most common reasion for it no working is split vacuum hose ends, so locate the hose tee piece behind the washer bottle a trace the hose in each direction. If you have to cut a split ends off, wrap a few laps of electrical tape around and it won't happen again.

I remember seeing a split pipe just off a T section, thoughts it was a washer jet pipe initally, will investigate more thanks for the advise.