Freelander not starting.

FL1800

Hi all, Happy New Year, first post here, on behalf of my dad!

My dad bought a 2000, 1.8 xsi Freelander recently, had cam belt etc done. Been great for a few weeks, but the other day would not start.

He had someone take a look, they checked it had a spark, petrol was getting through etc, all seems fine, but will just not fire up, just keeps trying to turn over.

I'm thinking maybe the immobiliser or other electrical fault maybe? Just wondered if anyone had any ideas really as he can't afford to get it towed away just yet to have it looked at.

Will try and pop over later to have a look for him, just wondered if anyone had any ideas to try out. It's by far the best car he's had for a long time, but he's on about getting rid now as it's had problems in its first month of ownership. I'm hoping it can be sorted, fingers crossed.

Thanks in advance.

OK 1st thongs first:-

Maybe sure you have fuel & Spark.

Not sure if this model was dizzy or igtion coils could be worth changing dizzy cap & arm as these do give problems

When its turning over does it sound normal turn over?

regards

Martin

PS - Where abouts are you? maybe someone on here will be able to take a look at it

Hi,

Well, he ended getting a mobile mechanic out, did the usual, compression test etc etc.

He found that one of the leads didn't make contact very well, so he said he'd need to buy all new leads and charge the battery up over night, which he did, and paid him.

However, when he put the battery back on it still didn't run! makes a better turning over noise, as if its attempting to start, but still won't go.

I'll see if I can get up at the weekend and have another look.

Cheers