Discovery 1 Suspension Upgrade?

chappers606

Hi folks.

I've been a member of the forum for some time, I've just never posted before! As such, I'll try and remember a few manners before diving in with some questions.

I'm from Lincs and drive a '98 300 Tdi Disco XS, and its used for commuting to work (a whole 2-3 miles each way), greenlaning, camping trips, chucking the dogs in, and occasional pay & play days, and I've had it for about 3 years and done several upgrades - mantec snorkel, steering & diff protectors, rock/tree sliders and roof-rack etc.

Unfortunately, all these little "extras" seem to have added a little to it's weight - that combined with a fat bloke driving it has lead me to decide that for my next project I want to upgrade the springs.

I'm not after anything extreme, I am thing of a HD 1" lift approx. I have seen the following Bearmach springs - Front: 195lb, height 394mm (raised 30mm)

Rear: 295lb, height 445mm (raised 40mm), but am a little concerned incase the rears might be a bit too heavy duty.

Most laning trips have the missus and at least 2 Labradors in the back (okay, I let the missus sit in the front sometimes) as well as recovery kit etc - and then the kids are along as well on times (both approaching teenagers).

So, in a long winded way, I am asking for advice about possible springs. I don't want to spend too much (I'm quite tight with money), but it could do with the 1" lift to raise the sills up again - and I don't want normal rate because I know that it will roll too much in the bends (a mate has a 1" on Britpart and it rolls like a pig).

Will the Bearmach still give me some articulation off-road?

Any (sensible?) advice more than welcome

Thanks in advance

Chappers

dont take bearmachs lift specs as gospel(was told that by there staff at billing last year)

i had the same spring set up on my rrc and the back was stiff to be fair (and was nose down so never really happy with it looking that way)

i have bearmach hd standard height springs on my disco (196lb front 195lb rears) and they work well but i dont do any major off roading (heavy caravan and dog tho) ;)

rob

I carry alot of weight in my Disco (300Tdi 1996). My car now weighs 2.9 tonnes ( a few extras have been added).

I've experimented with a few types of suspension setups of the last couple of years. My use is mainly on-road, with the odd African expedition thrown in (lot's off road / piste driving). I've found the following to be perfecto:

1. Police Spec Range Rover Heavy Duty Rear springs (from memory, about £60 for a pair)

2. Air Helper Kit - £105

3. Koni Adjustable Shocks - £350

The front of my car is not really worth mentioning - as I have Bearmach springs designed to handle a winch+bumper - so it wouldn't suit your situation... As for the rear...

The RR springs gave me about a 1" lift. The Air "helper" kit, in addition to providing addition lift if desired, also provides great adapatibility for different loads/conidtions.

The koni shocks are a bit of over-kill - but after I fitted a winch/bumper I found I had a scary amount of body roll in the bends. The Koni's have virtually elimiated body roll (on the highest setting - which I only use on-road). They work by resisting Stretching as well as compression - so the side not under load on cornering also helps reduce body roll. Not sure how good they would be off-road...

I've attached a few "before/after" photos showing the effect the Air Lift kit and springs had for me...

Hope that helps.

post-7658-126350059419_thumb.jpg

post-7658-126350060543_thumb.jpg

post-7658-126350061832_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for the replies so far. What started out as a simple thought about upgrading the suspension has turned out to be far from simple!

Mahon, that certainly seems to be a well kitted out Disco!

I fitted a set of "police spec" springs on the rear just over 12 months ago. (Got them for £10 ;) ), and I also fitted DeCarbon dampers all round. However, since then it has had several other additions which add to the weight. I have started adding the extra weight up, and permanent extras add up to approximately 80-90kgs. I am also trying to take into account that we never seem to be able to travel anywhere "lightly", whether that is a days laning, or camping for a few days. There are usually the two dogs (60kgs between them), as well as various bits "n" bobs.

I found the police spec springs were a great improvement initially, however, they aren't up to the job now it has gained all the extra weight. I want to avaoid fitting air helpers if I can, mainly because I'm lazy and want to get some springs fitted and forget about them.

The two main spring rates I can find for the rear (it needs an approx 1" lift to clear the extra depth of the rock sliders) are 220lbs which I feel are going to be too soft and make it roll in bends, or 295lbs which I fear may be a bit too stiff when "off-road". I'm not bothered about a harsher ride, I'm just concerned in case I lose too much articulation.

It doesn't help that I'm a technical baffoon, but why can these things never be easy? :blink:

i got a 2" lift terrafirma kit from stratton4x4 in horncastle for £207 springs and shocks and i believe you can state light, medium or heavy duty depending on your needs for the same price, terrafirma site looks like you can get different from and rear spring rates if that is better.

Okay, I've bitten the bullet and gone for the Bearmach HD springs. Hopefully I'll get them fitted tomorrow and be able to report back on how they are (I'm off laning in the Peaks on Sunday). I suppose I'll soon find out if they are going to be too stiff on the rear end!

I might end up changing it to an "overlander" just to add weight ;)

You did warn me - I didn't think that they would be "that" far out though! I'm going to give them a while to see if they "settle in" a bit. Might add a bit of ballast to the boot for a bit as well to see if it helps. If not I might have to rethink the back end again.

I'm thinking that a set of 245/75 16's might be a reasonable compromise. Shouldn't need a very big trim on the rear arches either.

my 265,s had no trimming on the rrc

and my mate has 255 65 16 on a stock disco so i would go for the 265,s so it looks the part from the off

as for settling in they dont drop much at all chap but then the rrc does have the boge shock on the ball joint so they might a little on a disco

rob