D1 300 Loose Baffles?

rocky

Hi, I've had some rattling from the exhaust for a while, but today it has got a lot louder. It sounds like loose baffles. When I put my boot on the tailpipe the rattle almost stops. what i'm bothered about is if it isn't the baffles and something has gone down the pipe, but I can't think what. If it was turbo vanes would the turbo have blown up--I've had one go before in a mercedes van and it sounded like gunshot, then the cab filled with smoke and the engine stopped.

There is no noticeable difference in the disco's performance. If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated. Regards, rocky

I've had 2 sets of exhausts with loose baffles (less than 12months old each).

Fitted straight through pipes in the end.

If the vanes fell off your turbo there would be more than a rattle!!!!!!

Might be worth checking the clamps and bolts first though.

I've suspected loose baffles in the centre box on mine for a while (it doesn't always make any noise) but it's worse when warmed up and on part throttle.

I don't suppose the dented centre box from a pay & play day helps...

I will get round to changing it sometime - for s straight through centre pipe. Bit worried about the noise afterwards though (De-catted 300 tdi Disco, relying on the rear silencer only)

Hi, the rear pipe and box are still under guarantee--phoned the garage last night, they said they would have look and see what's wrong--hope it's not the cat. I'm not able to get under it at the moment and there is still a foot of snow in the drive. regards, rocky.

If the decat pipe was rotten I would have put defender pipe on it. The disco has only got to run till may then I'll be getting a 90. I can't make up my mind whether to go for a td5 or a rebuilt 300. Looking in a 4x4 mag Liverage refurbish the with new chassis/bulkhead, paint tyres etc., which would be handy as I will have a spare engine/gearbox and transfer box. Regards, rocky.