4x4 areas in derbyshire

RangeyRover

Going to start with an exasperated sigh.

Since moving to Derby 5 years ago, I was sincerely looking forward to the new 4x4 opportunities that living near to the Peak district would bring. I can only report that the best times seem to have gone.

I was, while in the RN very keen on the BAFMA style of offroading event. Navigation, safaris, punches, trials it was, and is, for those still in, great fun, as well as having training value for the military.

I never realised how spoiled I was by the access I enjoyed at that time to the military training venues on the plain, and in scotland and wales.

Now, I am a member of only one club, www.spondonoffroad.co.uk and we are struggling for venues around the derby area.

We used to have access to Shottle, which was closed down by the environment agency due to overuse and silt getting in the river there.

Wormhough near leek has closed, at least temporarily.

Holymoorside is still available, bless em but its not a huge site and my hippo of a rangey hates it. Something always breaks there!

The landowners currently in our little black book are diminishing.

Bonsall quarry the club received a warning letter about, no uninvited 4x4 up there. I'm sure events have been run there but can we find a contact?

I know of Mow cop but cant get contacts.

We need to get our act together as enthusiasts to gather a comprehensive list of sites where we are welcome. I'm sure that landowners would welcome the extra income in these difficult times. The spirit of co operation between clubs seems to be lacking, as those clubs that have managed to get access, are reluctant to share, so that the sites dont get closed down due t overuse like the ones above.

Its got to the point where I am considering setting up a website with forum to try and get clubs and landowners together for our mutual benefit.

Got any contacts? PM me please.

Thanks RR

Going to start with an exasperated sigh.

Since moving to Derby 5 years ago, I was sincerely looking forward to the new 4x4 opportunities that living near to the Peak district would bring. I can only report that the best times seem to have gone.

I was, while in the RN very keen on the BAFMA style of offroading event. Navigation, safaris, punches, trials it was, and is, for those still in, great fun, as well as having training value for the military.

I never realised how spoiled I was by the access I enjoyed at that time to the military training venues on the plain, and in scotland and wales.

Now, I am a member of only one club, www.spondonoffroad.co.uk and we are struggling for venues around the derby area.

We used to have access to Shottle, which was closed down by the environment agency due to overuse and silt getting in the river there.

Wormhough near leek has closed, at least temporarily.

Holymoorside is still available, bless em but its not a huge site and my hippo of a rangey hates it. Something always breaks there!

The landowners currently in our little black book are diminishing.

Bonsall quarry the club received a warning letter about, no uninvited 4x4 up there. I'm sure events have been run there but can we find a contact?

I know of Mow cop but cant get contacts.

We need to get our act together as enthusiasts to gather a comprehensive list of sites where we are welcome. I'm sure that landowners would welcome the extra income in these difficult times. The spirit of co operation between clubs seems to be lacking, as those clubs that have managed to get access, are reluctant to share, so that the sites dont get closed down due t overuse like the ones above.

Its got to the point where I am considering setting up a website with forum to try and get clubs and landowners together for our mutual benefit.

Got any contacts? PM me please.

Thanks RR

Hi RR

Yep I agree with you there about Holymoorside went there about 8 years ago after an hour I was bored never went there again after that would be great if there was a good p and p site in the Derbyshire area.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

Hi RR

Yep I agree with you there about Holymoorside went there about 8 years ago after an hour I was bored never went there again after that would be great if there was a good p and p site in the Derbyshire area.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

bored??!? i think youd be too busy being recovered out the mud to be bored!!