disco 2, engine stopped for no reason, started up agian

fyneart

travelling on road and up hill in 3rd at about 35 40mph with foot to the floor, and the engine completely died, engine light came on and had to ditch at side of road. opened bonnet and found nothing odd, tried to start and it went first time, no warning lights nothing, travelled 40 miles , did an Aldi and back 40 miles no problems at all, wife says same thing happend to her a few weeks ago but thought it was her stalling it. had a starter changed 4 days ago but doubt this is related due to the wife having same prob weeks ago. read somewhere about relays under passenger seat may be loose but you guys got any other things i should check or ever heard of this happening before#

2003 td5 facelift model

cheers for help

UFO's flying above, violet flame, black magic, voodoo etc :D.

Engine light ON means the ECU thought it sees something wrong and most likely recorded a fault.

You can read the faults, make a note of them and clear them up.

Next time it occurs, read the faults a.s.a.p. and compare with the old set. Might shed a light.

Intermittent faults are very hard to trace. Nothing common in your case anyway.

One other thing to check next time it occurs (without touching the ignition key) is too see if any electrical systems are down - might be an electrical fault.

travelling on road and up hill in 3rd at about 35 40mph with foot to the floor, and the engine completely died, engine light came on and had to ditch at side of road. opened bonnet and found nothing odd, tried to start and it went first time, no warning lights nothing, travelled 40 miles , did an Aldi and back 40 miles no problems at all, wife says same thing happend to her a few weeks ago but thought it was her stalling it. had a starter changed 4 days ago but doubt this is related due to the wife having same prob weeks ago. read somewhere about relays under passenger seat may be loose but you guys got any other things i should check or ever heard of this happening before#

2003 td5 facelift model

cheers for help

Hi fyneart

try to look for the fault around the fusebox. I have had similar incidents on our Merc '92 600SL and our '91 500SL. Turned out to be oxidated contacts in the fusebox.

I would first check the fusebox and as a second step clean the contacts of the engine management plugs. Don't forget to remove the negative battery terminal before you start this work. Should sort it out.

Good luck

George1

Did the engine actually cut out completely or drop back to idle maybe?

I had a 'Driver Demand' fault recently that had the engine light coming on and the engine dropping back to idle with no response from the throttle. Restarting cleared the fault for a time. The solution was a new throttle assembly.

Just a thought :)

first time it cut out completely, today i thought i would test the landy and the result.

i took the disco to the exact spot where it happened, used the same gear, 3rd and accelerated hard up the hill, at the exact same point on the incline the engine died, this time something different happened, i came off the throttle, engine was at this point at 0 revs, the clutch was in as i expected to have to ditch but let out clutch effectively jump starting the engine, engine light on and continued on journey, 20 miles. did a shop and on entry of disco and first time startup as usual, no engine light.

weird, annoying and enough for me to sell up