LT85 Santana Rebuild

Hello one and all, well I've successfully rebuilt and inserted my Mazda SL35Ti into my 110 along with the Santana LT85, however I should have changed the ruddy clutch but I didn't and now it slips like a giraffe on ice, so it's coming out on saturday for a new complete clutch.

Now whilst it's out I thought a rebuild of the gearbox with one of the Ashcroft Master kits. Now I really need a manual or a print off of how to do it.

My next question, has anyone done this before? As I can get the bearings trade through work as I'm in the engineering supplies trade, and to be honest i can probably get better quality bearings than those supplied (thats not knocking ashcroft, the bearings they supply are good quality, but I can get better free through work) I'd like to know what sizes are used if anyone knows?

Sorry for the long list.

Regards

Andi

Hello one and all, well I've successfully rebuilt and inserted my Mazda SL35Ti into my 110 along with the Santana LT85, however I should have changed the ruddy clutch but I didn't and now it slips like a giraffe on ice, so it's coming out on saturday for a new complete clutch.

Now whilst it's out I thought a rebuild of the gearbox with one of the Ashcroft Master kits. Now I really need a manual or a print off of how to do it.

My next question, has anyone done this before? As I can get the bearings trade through work as I'm in the engineering supplies trade, and to be honest i can probably get better quality bearings than those supplied (thats not knocking ashcroft, the bearings they supply are good quality, but I can get better free through work) I'd like to know what sizes are used if anyone knows?

Sorry for the long list.

Regards

Andi

Hi Andi

I rebuilt mine many years ago, it's not hard but there are a number of special tools need, bearing pullers etc. Next to an LT77 the gubbins of the 85 are huge, and heavy. A gearbox overhaul cradle makes the job a whole lot easier as it holds it all still in a bench vice. Details are in the LR service manual, or RAVE manual. I can scan a few pages from the bible if you need.

Referring to your comments on bearings, there are two big ball races that have a whopping great circlip in their outer diameter. I can't remember exactly where they go but that's not important. What is important is that they're not available through general bearing suppliers. If you give them the P/N they can find it on record, and will tell you it's a manufacturer exclusive spec that they cannot obtain.

So that leaves you with going to Ashcrofts, or other reputable gearbox part supplier. Don't know whether LR would still stock something that old. I bought my rebuild kit from LEGS, but I'm pretty sure they're no longer trading.

Either way, I think I'd go to Ashcrofts now. You know the bearings will be of a known good quality, as will the other parts. I wouldn't want to skimp on a rebuild, especially when you have such a grunty engine up front :)